Please recommend a Formula S stripe kit

-

jimharvard

JimHarvard
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have finished the restoration of my 68 340 4sp fastback formula s (turbine bronze) and I'm looking for a high-quality side stripe kit. I purchased a kit from one vendor, however, I don't like it at all as it is paper thin and is basically a "decal" rather than a stripe kit. I had a new formula s in high school in 1969 and for some reason that I can't really remember, removed that stripe to install "my own" "bumble-bee style" stripe around the rear trunk of the car. I remember the original OEM stripe as being three individual thick vinyl stripes. Do any of you resto-folks know of a good stripe kit that would be closer to the OEM thick stripes? I appreciate any info you could provide.
jim coster, pittsburgh, pa

'68 did not have the same style stripes as the '69s did. Unless you are looking to put a '69 style stripe on your '68?

i don't want to paint the side stripes on as that was not the way formula s cuda's came in 1968. the side horizontal stripes on my original 68 fourmula s were gloss black vinyl but about the thickness of a standard business card. that is the kind of stripe kit i'm looking for. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks.
jim coster

The better quality material is thinner than what was offered in the past.
Not sure if you are close to a sign shop, ask them to see the 3M 1080 series.
They just came out with a semi gloss color, in the past we only had a lower grade of material when customers required a semi gloss color.
You can always call me if you have more questions Jim.
BTW, No news for the M-codes

hey there mr. "kanook"...
if you do ever find out anything on the m-codes please let me know... i'm still looking for a fastback...:0)

i think i found a web site that sells all kinds of 3m striping tape in various sizes. i'll look and see if they have the 1080 series. i really don't like the "decal" stripe kit that i bought. my 68 is now about 98% original and i really want to put as close to the kind of OEM stripes on it as what my "original" cuda had 46 years ago..

if anyone else knows of a "thick" formula s side stripe kit for a 68 please let me know.
thanks 2darts.

jim coster, pittsburgh, pa

The 68 stripe design it just straight lines. I had the local sign shop, computer cut mine out of 3M automotive vinyl. I hand cut the curve just short of the wheel openings.

Cost $20 (10 years ago) and they look as good as the day I put them on.

hey formulaS,

2darts out of canada suggested the same thing. he is actually going to try and make me up a set. he wasn't sure if he could still get the 3M 1080 series black vinyl tape. is your print shop still in business? if so, what is their name and where are they located? thanks again.

jim coster

-
Back