Please Solve the Mystery?????

-

johnmucci

moparmucci
Reaction score
Ok, I am replacing my 273 w/a new build 360 Magnum engine. I was told on a different thread that because I am using the 1966 904 tranny that I need a "spacer ring" because the torque converter "snout" is smaller than the 360 crank hole. HELP>>>>>>>>>>

Ok I have gotten a lot of input on this but I am still confused... I am buying a new torque converter so does that mean I don't have to have the Spacer Ring?

Or should I just look for a later model 904 tranny??? Thanks!

Measure it before installation if you can, in my experience, its all about mockup. :thumblef:

Ok, I am replacing my 273 w/a new build 360 Magnum engine. I was told on a different thread that because I am using the 1966 904 tranny that I need a "spacer ring" because the torque converter "snout" is smaller than the 360 crank hole. HELP>>>>>>>>>>

That is true. I think I've read someplace that Wildcat Auto in Oregon has them. I just pulled apart a 74 slant mated to a 65 transmission and it had one. Going to mate the motor up to a 66 small snout torque convertor so will be using it.

If your trans. is a 66 you need the bushing. Otherwise the converter will be real sloppy fitting into the crank and flop around and probably break things such as the flexplate, input shaft, and/or possibly the torque converter.

the torque converter is also balanced for a 360, there is a flex plate available that is balanced, or just get a tc for a 360. im dealing with the same issue rite now. also the balancer is diferent for a 360 than 273, so if your crate didnt come with a balancer you will be needing that as well. good luck

If you are using a 68 or newer transmission you can get the 68 and newer torque converter which can be externally balanced AND has the larger snout to fit the 68 and later 318, 360 etc. But, if you are using a 67 or earlier transmission it uses a different input shaft and the torque converter which fits that input shaft has a smaller snout. So to fit the older 904 with corresponding torque converter to the newer engine you will need to get a spacer. The spacer can be aquired through Pat Blais Transmissions (Torqueflite Patty), Seattle, Washington 98125,(206) 365-1966
You will also need to get a flex plate (B&M 10239 or equivalent)that is balanced for the external balanced 360 or have the balance weights added to you zero balanced torque converter.

Oops. Just remebered you are talking Magnum. In that cse i think the adapter flex-plate is B&M 10241 which has become rater hard to locate. Another option, if you are rebuilding the transmission, would be to use the front three major components from a 68 904 in your 66 transmission so you get the more modern input shaft. It may be easiest to have balance weights added to your torque converter.

I guess I'm a little slow in the thinking department this morning...

Does your Magnum have the flex-plate with it? If so, it probably has the weight on it to use a zero balance converter and then all you will need is the spacer ring.

OK THE MYSTERY IS SOLVED!!! I took my tranny and stock converter to my engine builder(Dan Costello @ Performance Only in Delray Beach Fl. He called Hughes and explained the situation(which he has seen before and they are building a special order converter so it fits my tranny and the 360 crank at no additional charge than if I was buying one from stock!! Dan said he could make the spacer but why if Hughes will build one. Thanks for all the input, learn something new everyday!!! Thanks A bodies!

OK THE MYSTERY IS SOLVED!!! I took my tranny and stock converter to my engine builder(Dan Costello @ Performance Only in Delray Beach Fl. He called Hughes and explained the situation(which he has seen before and they are building a special order converter so it fits my tranny and the 360 crank at no additional charge than if I was buying one from stock!! Dan said he could make the spacer but why if Hughes will build one. Thanks for all the input, learn something new everyday!!! Thanks A bodies!

Not many people ever think to just have the convertor guts stabbed into a later convertor shell....but know you cannot do this the other way around, the later guts wont fit into the early shell.

fwiw I have done this twice, the second time I had the convertor cut for high stall as well.

I had this problem on a 67 dart gt i used to have. I put a later 70's style 904 in my 67 273. I had a i converter custom built to make it work. I'm guessing you will have to do the same.

I have the opposite problem: I need to use a post-1968 904 w/ the bigger 'snout' to mate into my 1967 273 v8 - Anybody done this for $100 or less?

Thank You.

-
Back