Plug cleaning

-

dave ellis

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to run something like seafoam through their motor to clean oil found plugs until you have a chance to change them?

I've seen completely fouled plugs burned off with a propane torch before just to get to the parts store after a new set before.

Plugs are so cheap (relatively), I would not waste my time cleaning them.

Old school mechanics that used or still use spark plug cleaners would disagree with replacing an otherwise good plug. And I would agree with them.

1705214196490.png

My uncle had a service station in the late ‘50’s into the ‘60’s and he had one of these. I would spend hours there cleaning spark plugs. I also spent time jacking up his hydraulic jack then climbing on it and making it go down Like riding an elevator. My dream job was to work there so day but my uncle closed the business and worked as a mechanic for the power company. My dad asked my uncle to put a clutch put in his Chevy pickup and my uncle told him that I was capable of doing the job. I was just over 100 pounds at the time and had to use my feet while folding the tailshaft go get the transmission to go back into the bellhousing.

I'm old enough that plug cleaning was a acceptable way to buy time on engines that were getting towards the ''end of life''. I personally ran a few newer plugs through blast cleaners that had fouled because of a bad tune, but at some point oil fouling needs to be addressed in the mechanical sense.

got one of those airline plug blasters

i think i've used it once :) thing cost about $20 and came with a small bag of media
once id used that i went to get another small bag of the "Special" media and found it cost $20.
i can get 6 new NGKs for $26
at which point the plug blaster ended up in the bottom draw where it has been ever since

nice idea spoiled by stupid pricing
didn't fancy sand anywhere near anything that lives in my engine near my piston rings
presume the special media is soda....

yes i could use any old soda but am awkward old bugger and the idea has now been tainted.

Dave

-
Back