Plug Reading Question (Update)

-

iw378

Reaction score
This weekend I yanked off my offenhauser intake and old carter 625 and put on a new performer manifold and 1406 carb. Runs great now. Anyways I put about 50 miles on it yesterday on the freeway, through town, and some WOT take offs. When I installed all the new stuff I also Installed new plugs. The guy at the parts house gave me autolite 66's for my 318. When should I expect the plugs to color ? I checked them and they all look like they came out of the box ??
Luke

It could be a touch lean if they still look new.
Supposed to be a light grey, but if everything else seems fine (like running temp) then it should be ok.

Okay, I put another 80 miles on her today and here's what the plugs looked like
see trailbeasts pic below (thanks for resizing) LOL
Still looked pretty much new with a little pink ring around the top of the ceramic, on the ground strap the color change was in the middle of the bend.
aside from the tiny pink ring on the ceramic it was white all the way to the bottom.

Sorry about the pic. I have I think a stock 318 might have been rebuilt one time and as of now I have the timing set at 10
degrees initial. These are autolite 66 plugs

Man, try and shrink that pic a hair...lol.

I saw your post earlier and agreed with "TrailBeast". You may be somewhat lean, after putting more miles on it, although it's still hard to tell if you require jets or rods at this point. The pink color is probably just from the fuel you're using. The different blends these days can cause a lot of odd colorations on the plugs.

How's she running on during the mileage you put on so far? Any hesitation, stumbling, odd idling issues?

You may be able to use a hair more timing down the road, but that shouldn't effect your plugs at this point.

Runs good, Nice crisp, throttle response no stumble or dead spot. For the record I have only put in the chevron 91 octane since Ive had this car. Do you think the 66 plugs are a c hair too hot ? I did not notice that I got 66's until I had a couple of them in so I went with it. How many more miles till I get a good coloring of the plugs ??
Thanks for the help.
Luke

Thanks Greg :thumbrig:.

Luke, go in and dump that plug pic...

Looks to me like the 66's should be fine for your teen. I believe the recommendation for the 340 was a #65, but I doubt you'll notice much of a difference at this point. Since it's running good right now, i'd probably put a few more miles into it and see how things go.

Luke, just keep a clean ear out for any possible pinging during your driving going forward. I see you're in California, and i'm not sure what temps your running in right now. I'd guess you're still pretty warm. If the plugs stay fairly white for now, you may need to richen the carb a little when summertime comes. I'll look for any posts you have, and if I can add anything that will help, i will.

-
Back