Rear Panel striping with 'Duster 340 and Angry Duster Trail' Decal
Wheel Opening Moldings
Rocker Panel Molding
Bumper Guards

Unsilenced Air Cleaner '340 Four Barrel' insert call-out

3981810222_c35703a921_b.jpg

1970 'Duster 340'

With the Body Side Stripe {'delete'}

But, with the horizontal Body Side Molding and Vinyl Top.

1970 'Duster 340'

* Correct {Code J81} 'Go-Wing
* Correct Body-Side Striping

A NO-NO.......The {Code N42} Chrome-Tip Exhaust Extensions became available in 1971.......

ebay133744.jpg

I thought that chrome exhaust tips were not available in 1970 on Dusters.

I thought that chrome exhaust tips were not available in 1970 on Dusters.

You are 100% correct Doc,

In 1970, the 'Duster 340' was only available with the {Code N41}
Dual Exhaust w/o Chrome-Tip Extensions.

The {Code N42} Chrome-Tip Extensions became available in 1971
for the Duster.

Both my 1970 340 dusters did not have rocker mouldings or fender lip mouldings.

You are 100% correct Doc,

In 1970, the 'Duster 340' was only available with the {Code N41}
Dual Exhaust w/o Chrome-Tip Extensions.

The {Code N42} Chrome-Tip Extensions became available in 1971
for the Duster.

With L.A. built cars being the exception of course...

Grassy,

I believe the Body Strip Decal went under the Gas Cap.

My mother bought a new 'Duster 340' in April 1970. The Stripe Decal was 'not'
on the body colored Gas Cap.

It went into the lower part of the body recess {Gas Cap Cavity}.

There has been a thread or two on this. ..and a lot of comments :) According to some folks on this board that are way more knowledgeable than I, the stripe is supposed to pass through the gas tank tank cap.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=219729&highlight=body+stripe+location

look farther down and you will see duster stripes as well..

In your mother's case, I suspect that the stripe was been installed by the dealer.

Grassy

1970 'Duster 340'

Side Body Stripe.

I have never seen a body colored Gas Cap with a partial decal on the lower section.

MOPAR_CT1100-340-720.JPG

I am just going but what the serious mopar dudes are saying..

Did you read the link ?

My factory stripes do. When I put the new ones on..if i don't use the stripes that go over the cap, they will go through the bottom half of the cap..

It is one of the first mistakes people pick up on the Duster / Demons / sports.. however, it is your car so do what you want..and what looks good to you..

Bit I don't believe it is the "correct" exterior treatment....

This appears to be one of those deals where both ways could be right depending on who put the stripes on. The link posted above shows original paint cars with stripe going through the cap, while the ad at the top of this page shows under?

Was the wheel opening and rocker panel molding optional? Mine does not have that either...

Attachments

• IMG_1219.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,154
The Usual 1970 'Duster 340',

Seems that if the 'Duster 340' came with the Body Side Stripe Decal
and Rear Deck Stripe, it had no other Exterior options.

* V6X = Body Side Panel Stripes {Black}
* V8X = Tail {Rear Deck} Panel Stripe {Black}

If the 'Duster 340' came with the Body Side Moulding {delete Body Side Stripe Decal}
'some' would get the wheel well opening Chrome Trim molding and lower Rocker Panel
Trim Moulding, with Front and Rear Bumper Guards.

This could be the Exterior Decor Group.

The belt line 340 striped did not extend onto the cap. The stripe follows the center body line from front to rear.

How high would it have to be to go on the cap. Probably would reach the door lock. I owned several 70's and never had one with wheel well chrome or rocker chrome. Not saying it couldn't have been ordered. The red one I sold to my neighbor has the body molding . original paint and no chrome wheel well or rockers.

It also has AC without tinted glass. It is a 340 3 spd car. It did not have tips I put the old tail pipes on from my 71 Demon. This car is ruff but it still wears all its original paint. The blue 70 in front has remnants of the black stripe. It followed the body line as all of mine did in the past. It does not reach the cap opening. Go figure.

Now the demons I see on here . Most all of them the stripes are installed to low. But try and tell some of these owners and they will make up stories to make their's installed correctly. I installed them when these cars were new they only went on in one position. The repops go on on either side. The originals could not.

Attachments

• DSCN0151[1].jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,106
  • DSCN0156[1].jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,107
  • DSCN0153[1].jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,119
  • DSCN0152[1].jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,097
If I get the red 70 back it will be stripped for parts for the AC for my 71. I am working on it now soon he will be needing money. His kid got 8 citations 4 DUI's and some hefty fines . I should not have sold it. He paid me $700.00 and now I need the AC and the Harness.

The belt line 340 striped did not extend onto the cap. The stripe follows the center body line from front to rear.

How high would it have to be to go on the cap. Probably would reach the door lock. I owned several 70's and never had one with wheel well chrome or rocker chrome. Not saying it couldn't have been ordered. The red one I sold to my neighbor has the body molding . original paint and no chrome wheel well or rockers.

It also has AC without tinted glass. It is a 340 3 spd car. It did not have tips I put the old tail pipes on from my 71 Demon. This car is ruff but it still wears all its original paint. The blue 70 in front has remnants of the black stripe. It followed the body line as all of mine did in the past. It does not reach the cap opening. Go figure.

Now the demons I see on here . Most all of them the stripes are installed to low. But try and tell some of these owners and they will make up stories to make their's installed correctly. I installed them when these cars were new they only went on in one position. The repops go on on either side. The originals could not.

Any idea what the tire and wheel combo is on the back of that red duster? Looks pretty beefy.

Oh yeah those are original tips and hangers from a Duster ,Demon. Note how the hug the bumper compared to the after markets used on most cars on hear. I had to cut 3/4 inch out of the orange Duster's aftermarket tip L brackets and put the uppward bend in the tailpipe to get them to fit correctly. Even though they are moved inboard they are at the correct height.

Attachments

• dus3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,005
  • scan0016.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,062
The bumperettes showed up in '74 on the MGs due to the current legislation. Probably the same for American cars ? My '75 had them...they will be for sale soon :)

-
Back