Plymouth Duster 'Correct Exterior Treatment'

-
O-M-R

Yes, I could see where the G70 x 14" Tire may have been an issue. A tight fit, unless
there was some added increase in Load-Rate of the front end.

Possible Exterior Decor Trim Components
* Roof Rail Drip Molding
* Wheel Opening Lip Molding
* Bumper Guards
* Lower Rocker Sill Molding, w/Black Accent Paint applied below the Molding
* Front Fender Turn Signal Indicators
* Vinyl Body Side Molding {Black Only}
* Front Windshield Tinted-Glass

What about the front fender badges on a 1970 340 car? It appears the "Duster 340" emblems were stickers and it appears some had the V EIGHT and VALIANT badges but not all of them. My car was a /6 originally and has the holes in the fenders for the Valiant badges. I have a pair of V EIGHT badges I was going to add if it was correct.

I've also notice some have top fender mount turn signal indicators and some do not! Was this optional too?

Option ~ Fender Mounted Turn Signal Indicators

The Chrome Roof Drip Rail was 'Standard' with Vinyl Tops. An 'Option' otherwise.

The Valiant badge was placed on the center front fender above the Duster 340 decal on that Model.

3981810222_c35703a921_b.jpg

Pauly,

That 'Duster 340' is all wrong. It is not original, as somebody tartered it up.

Wrong front Badge, improper Hood Scoops, and wrong Body Side Stripe for a 1970 Model.

OK - it's clearer now. I knew the stripes and scoops weren't right for a 70 340 Duster.

But, I have a drivers side fender off either a 70 Duster or Valiant. It has both the V EIGHT badge and Valiant badge, as well as the Duster sticker under the Valiant badge.
I'm guessing someone added this to the fender somewhere along the line!

The only ones I have ever seen with the V-eight emblems were 318 models. Never seen a factory 340 car with them because they had the decal that said "Duster 340" below the valiant emblem.

Option ~ Fender Mounted Turn Signal Indicators

The Chrome Roof Drip Rail was 'Standard' with Vinyl Tops. An 'Option' otherwise.

My understanding is the chrome drip rails are standard on the 340 models with or without a vinyl roof. Every original 70 340 car I have seen has them. Even my plain jane 3spd manual rubber floor mat 340 duster has them (that car is basic). I could be wrong or maybe this applies to only Hamtramck cars.

The fender mounted turn signals were optional and part of the light package which included a trunk, ashtray, glove box, steering column key, map and of course the fender turn signal lights.

OK - it's clearer now. I knew the stripes and scoops weren't right for a 70 340 Duster.

But, I have a drivers side fender off either a 70 Duster or Valiant. It has both the V EIGHT badge and Valiant badge, as well as the Duster sticker under the Valiant badge.
I'm guessing someone added this to the fender somewhere along the line!

Was the fender from a 340 car? the 318 cars have the v8 emblem, valiant emblem and the duster sticker, but of course no 340 sticker.

correct 1970 side stripes have a slight arch in the rear quarter.The arch must be installed down to keep the stripe straight.
If it is installed upside down it will hump up and hit the gas cap.

correct 1970 side stripes have a slight arch in the rear quarter.The arch must be installed down to keep the stripe straight.
If it is installed upside down it will hump up and hit the gas cap.

I wonder if the aftermarket stripe kits have this?

That makes sense as the center body line is not straight as it appears to be, I learned this while block sanding my quarter panel

I am not sure of the of the fenders origin. Based on the DUSTER sticker and no 340, it's likely off a 318 car.

1970 'Duster 340'

Perfectly Detailed

Anybody who puts Scoops on the Hood of a 'Duster 340' should be 'shot'.

And, the Factory offered Code J81 'Go-Wing' is not needed either.

70duster340-22.jpg

1970 'Duster 340'

Perfectly Detailed

Anybody who puts Scoops on the Hood of a 'Duster 340' should be 'shot'.

And, the Factory offered Code J81 'Go-Wing' is not needed either.

While I understand your passion for originality, you have to remember that many folk really don't care about what the car was supposed to look like when it rolled off the assembly line but rather have their own vision of what they want it to look like..

If it is their car, they are allowed to to do what ever they want with their car...

Grassy...

I know what alot of you are talking about with the stripe being over the gas cap. On the Demon, the stripe goes over the cap due to the back half having thicker black portions on the stripe. The dusters stripe is thinner and does not go over the gas cap as it lies right below it. The Demon stripe has the thicker section in the rear which makes it go over the cap following the body line.

Roof Rail trim was standard with vinyl roof.
Wheel lip and custom sill was with group package only.
I guess I should be shot!!!!

Attachments

• 70_Valiant_Duster0007.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 276
  • Duster hood.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 298
'Get Your Damn Dirty Scoops Off Me'

Charlton Heston.

No 'self respecting' Duster 340 owner would ever put Twin Scoops on their hood.

Sorry.......

Ed, I assume your chart is from 1972?

Thanks for posting it. I love to look at stuff like that...

Being old enough have bought a 1970 340 4speed Duster . It wasn't brand new but I bought it off a friend that did buy it new. I paid 1700.00 for it in 1972. It was a tor-red with the red bench seat interior. It did have dual exhaust W/O tips, It did have the Valliant V8 fender emblems, it did have the black side stripes that did not go through the gas gap.

I have some pictures of the car at my moms house that when I finally get to clean out the house I will post pictures show these details.

I heard a rumor years ago, that "California only" 70' 340 cars had the chrome tailpipe extensions? I have no idea if that's the case. I personally don't care for them myself, even though so many Dusters/Darts came with them.

One reason the 1970 340 Duster is my favorite year ( besides the fact I own one) is the lack of the "bling".. To me it has the most sleeper look of all the 340 cars... JMO..

One reason the 1970 340 Duster is my favorite year ( besides the fact I own one) is the lack of the "bling".. To me it has the most sleeper look of all the 340 cars... JMO..

Same thing here. It is why the 70 340 4speed Duster and the 68 Road Runner were my favorite two.

'Exacto Mundo'

It was the Plymouth Division, that 'wanted' a quiet 'No Tarter Look'
on the 1970 Duster 340.

Just > Rallye Wheels and Goodyear E-70 x 14" R-W-L Polyglas GT tires.

The 'Go-Wing' wasn't even installed by the Factory.

-
Back