Plymouth Scamp question

-

Jscherbik

Reaction score
All,

I am looking at buying a Plymouth Scamp. It is a resto-mod with a 360cid engine. I'll see it in person for the first time tomorrow. From the pictures, it looks like someone took good care with the restoration.

Any advice about identifying a 360 engine? The owner will likely not let me sand paint off the front to access the stamping, so I believe the only way for me to identify the block is to get under the driver's side and see the casting number.

I ran the VIN through a decoder (VH23C1R1XXXXX) and it says it is a Scamp with a 225cid 6cylinder engine and was built in Canada.

I have no idea about Scamps, so please excuse this simple question. Is there any reason to shy away from a Scamp that was originally a 6 cylinder car? Would the automatic transmission be adequate? Were all the A904 Torqueflites adequate for 8 cylinder engines in 1971?

Also, it was built in Canada. If there is no rust, is there any other concern about the region where it was built and likely sold?

Thanks!

Jay

View attachment 00l0l_bnM8JVgMtrA_600x450.jpg

View attachment 00W0W_dLbFgLXqtgy_600x450.jpg

View attachment 00n0n_jOHq8brHuQu_50x50c.jpg

I can't speak to a whole lot of details, but I do know, as one who had a slant six swapped with a V8, that the slant six automatics don't mate up with the V8s. That would have been changed as part of the drive train swap. Since it is a 360, you may want to check and ensure that the rear end was changed. The stock slant six (7.25?) may not be strong enough to support the 360 long term.

It has a Dart front clip,on it.(Swapped for looks,or was it in a front end bender?) A 360 can be identified, by a larger balancer,than a 273/318/340 . You can crawl underneath, the engine size is visible in casting on the bottom of the block.I personally,would take a Mopar knowledgeable buddy. That could help you ,immensely.

Looks like Tim beat me to it--Dart front end. Looks good externally, but like Abodybomber said, take a friend and crawl up under it.

Is there any reason to shy away from a Scamp that was originally a 6 cylinder car?

Nope-many times, they were better cared for anyway...people don't typically hot rod or abuse a slant car

Would the automatic transmission be adequate? Were all the A904 Torqueflites adequate for 8 cylinder engines in 1971?

I can only assume you mean is a 904 good enough to handle a mild 360; and the answer is yes if it's in good repair and not abused/neglected

Also, it was built in Canada. If there is no rust, is there any other concern about the region where it was built and likely sold?

I wish I knew, but I would think there would be no concerns as long as the chassis is solid, and been cared for.

I can't quite tell from the pics, Tim--is that a '70-'71 front?

My 72 Dart Swinger, had an original silver grill. I vaguely remember 70-71's, being a darker color. Hopefully, someone has that knowledge is willing to share.

As others have said, that car has a Dart front clip on it (fenders, hood, bumper, grill, etc). I'd be leery of any Mopar with an engine bay painted black. Black is an easy way to hide some nasty surprises. And since that's not a factory colour for Scamps, it's was repainted at one point so why wasn't the engine bay sprayed body color at the same time? Same goes for the trunk of any Mopar as it too should be body color.

Black is an easy way to hide some nasty surprises...so why wasn't the engine bay sprayed body color at the same time?

True to an extent...or...because the person/shop who repainted the car didn't want to do it "the right way" and take out the engine to paint the bay.

Same goes for the trunk of any Mopar as it too should be body color.

Too many people get hung up on this detail and completely lose sight of the fact that not everyone wants to build a concourse restoration.

Don't get me wrong, properly restored Darts and such look great, but we all don't have to restore our vehicles to 100% original detail...

Apart from a good inspection of the body/frame/suspension/drivetrain, I wouldn't disqualify it simply for having the wrong color paint under the hood or in the trunk, or because the wrong front clip's on it...if you're interested, fine tooth comb it, and make your decision based on your findings (and budget).

Wow, thanks to all who replied! We will see it today, and will go slow. I appreciate the advice!

my suggestion-- if you like the car & the paperwork is in order-- inspect the car for usual problems rust ,hacked wiring ,funky engine noises, etc...
if the car passes muster & the price is acceptable, buy it that car looks like a great driver/local car show type-- who knows what has happened in it's lifetime.

Do not get caught up in the scamp/dart thing -- those parts all bolt on in the 67-76 era-- & can be swapped with the right donor parts.
Every day on this site someone is swapping a V_8 into a slant car!

Lawrence

-
Back