Plymouth Virgin

-

NukeSec1

DUSTinguished
Reaction score
Hello everyone! We (my son and I) are about to purchase a 1973 Plymouth Duster project car (an original 340/auto car) as a father / son project. This will be my (almost 15 year old) sons first car. I was hoping that he would jump on the Oldsmobile bandwagon with me. He tried to, but the right Olds just never came along and we are running out of time for a project. So my son has expressed interest in the MOPAR family (I refused that he own a F**D). This being a "first car" for him, I will not deny him that or attempt to sway his interest in any way (although Oldsmobiles are Cool! And I'm not a F**D fan). So I / he has found a very cool Duster project.

The Duster is an original 340 car. It's a rolling body with new quarters. It's been mini-tubbed. The only major rust on the car is in the drivers rocker panel (needs replaced) and under the hood below where the battery mounted it needs a patch. The interior is all but gone. There's a complete dash and steering column and that is it. I think all the wiring is there though (underhood and interior). It comes with a 360 (unknown year or what it came out of) and I have already been promised from someone else a 727 transmission. All the glass is good. It's missing some trim items.

Our plan is to strip it to bare metal a little at a time to see what we have (starting at the front). Repair the metal that needs to be repaired as we work from front to back. Once that's done we will see what the status of the 360 and the tranny is. Thanks to my Dad, I had a bad *** car in high school (a 1978 Z28 (which I still have, along with my Olds) and so will my son, thanks to me. I already know it has an 8 1/4 rear that I suggest we replace with an 8 3/4 posi rear. And once that is done a 6 or 8 point cage will be installed before we start on the interior. The interior is blank, so why not put a cage in it in case he wants go race? Plus it makes it a safer car with NO back seat, :snakeman: !

I'm pretty retarded as far as Chrysler products go and that is why I am here. For your expertise. Once we get it home I will post some pics and post them. There will be alot of picture taking!

I know I said I wouldn't try to influence my son out of anything. But he's talking Plum Crazy. I said "Don't be faux pa!" How about B5 Blue with the black 340 stripes? Or that dark green with the black 340 stripes? That's a long time away!

Welcome to the FABO family!

Sounds like a great project with the son.

Please keep us posted with a restoration thread.

Welcome aboard!! Sure sounds like your kid could teach you a lot about taste in cars!!! LOL Just kidding! I used to own a sweetheart 86 olds cutlass t-top car with 90 k on it, never winter driven with everything orig except 1 repaint. Lots of great people here, dont worry about the chrylser retarded thing.....lots of f**d and chebbie owners so you arent the only one.

"Plus it makes it a safer car with NO back seat". Sounds like experience talking here lol..

Welcome aboard, and ask away. This site has so much knowledge on it about these cars, you will become "educated" on A-body Mopars in no time flat!

Grant

Ahh, I like my old Old's cars. They are cool cars.

While I'm not exactly a fan of the Purple, it does stand out and wave a look at me flag preety good without being abrasive like the Yellow or Pink can be to some eyes. Let'em go Purple. They'll talk about it for years to come. That Crazy Purple machine!

Welcome aboard Olds man, glad to see your not a "Old Man."

ROFLMAO

Move Over, Plymouth Apporaching Rapidly = MOPAR!

I love my 73 Duster and it is tons of fun to drive when it is not up on jackstands. Welcome to FABO and get ready for lots of fun with the duster!

-LY

Welcome. Me and my dad are also restoring a 73 340. Only thing is it started when I was in 5th grade and I'm now 16 haha. Almost done though, probably will be my car also. Hope to see some progress from you guys.

I agree with Rumblefish. If the car is to be the boy's, let him pick the color. He might change his mind before it's ready for paint and if he doesn't, plum crazy is a cool color.:cheers:
Oh yes, welcome aboard. A lot of us have other cars too (my son & I did my old Pontiac Firebird). You probably won't get much, if any, grief for being an Olds guy.:bootysha:
C

-
Back