points to eltric?

-
try evilbay item 360094391033

or your local parts place and ask for a dizzy for a 78 volare and go with a GM HEI setup and a blaster coil or junkyard 12v coil.

beware of domino effect ;)

what will i have a lot of proplems if i do this ? cause im not looking for a headack ya know . am i better off with just leaving it points ?

Just buzz on down to your local wrecking yard and pick up an electronic dist for the /6 and grab the control box with the plug. Just make sure the dist. has the vacuum advance (not the lean burn model). You will love this simple swap.

I got a conversion kit from Mopar Parts through Summit Racing. A couple of years ago it was only 15 bucks. Got the distributor from a 75 Dart. It was free! About 20 minutes worth of work and it has been fantastic. I recommend doing the swap! Mike

I changed mine out in about 15 to 20 minutes.
And it sure made a good difference on firing up and
smooth idle and smooth at 70 mph.
Just mark where your rotor is pointing "on the motor"
and pull the old dist out I think it will turn CCW on its way out,
and slip in the new dist with the rotor on, and pointing at your mark you made before you removed it as it turns in.
I am glad I changed mine out, I think it is saving me 2 or 3 mpg on the hwy and run's cooler then it did when I drove it home.

I boxed up the point system that was doing fine and keep them for back up.
The kit I bought can be gotten like they are saying at your local salvage yard.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20069.jpg

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv%20017.jpg

Switch it over!
Best upgrade for the money you will do for your Slant 6.
Later,
Bruce B.

I put a pertronix unit in my '70 /6 valiant some years ago. It did very well, and was an easy swap. Converting to a factory setup would work fine as well I'm sure.

Pertronix worked fine for me. Easy and fast installation and there was no need to change the dist. Will recommend.

I am an electrical engineer, and I keep my all my Mopars point-type
ignition. Because they work by following the laws of physics, they can be broken, but never ever confused.
I like the keep it simple method.

When a solid-state ign dies on the side of the road, you better have spares.
When your points or condenser have trouble, you can just fiddle a bit
and keep going. Replacement points are cheap.

I have to deal with enough cranky modern technology, that for myself
I choose to have simple old fashioned problems.

heres what i did the old dart need anew set of points .first off the fellows up at the local parts house said there puter didnt offer any such thing lol to old . went out to bone yard found a /6 volare electric dist went napa got a 4pin mopar box around 35 $ maninci for a wiring harness under 15 $ had a reses tor from something else put a cap an rotor in it an been driving it for about 2 yrs now with out any tune ups. so for under a 100 $ you never have to worry about points again

Converting mine to GM HEI ignition. Only problem is I bought a GM coil that doesn't mount anywhere, instead of a Blaster 2 thingamahoo that fits in the stock coil location.

doh!:sign10:

This eliminates the balast resistor altogether.

-
Back