Police motors have published horsepower ratings?

-
I always thought the Police Pursuit Mopars had a better cam, and all came with some sort 4 barrel carburetor. BUT that too, I also think they had different axle gearing then "civilian" cars of the same brand and type....just to make them that much faster and use more of the torque the engine produced on take-off, then the horsepower as civilians used for take-off.

Maybe I'm wrong, but would make sense, as just how the hell do the police "catch" ya when your already flyin' from a dead stop/launch?

Here is specifically what you were looking for
http://www.dippy.org/forum2/index.php?topic=157.0
(Can I add Mopar fans make the best webpages)

Michigan has every year for a long time done extensive testing of all police spec cars out there. There is a treasure trove of info, way more then any magazine tests ever gave. Handling, top speed, acceleration, mpg, etc all done side by side on the same track with the same drivers on the same day.

The 1969 Dodge Polara for a long time held the top speed record at 147mph, I think it was a 2000 Camaro that finally topped it at 159 mph in 2002. The current Hemi Chargers are about 150 with the fastest Mopar being about a 152mph with a 14.35 sec 1/4 mile at 102mph in 2012. The best sleeper might be the 2012 Impala with only a V6 hitting 151mph. Those cars show up in actions now for $3500. $3500 for a 150mph+ car is pretty sweet. We bought a 2007 model with the less powerful V6 that only went 139mph. Still a cool car all black and always smells like pot for some reason LOL!

...........I have had 2 police cruisers.......both 1978s........the 4bbl 318 had 360 heads with 1.88 and 1.60 valves, single springs with damper, double roller tc and gears, windage tray, hv oil pump and hd drive ......not sure on camshaft.........440 had a magnum cam as well as all the other goodies the 318 had, pistons were .140 in the hole.........the tranny was also a lot more heavy duty...........kim........

...........I have had 2 police cruisers.......both 1978s........the 4bbl 318 had 360 heads with 1.88 and 1.60 valves, single springs with damper, double roller tc and gears, windage tray, hv oil pump and hd drive ......not sure on camshaft.........440 had a magnum cam as well as all the other goodies the 318 had, pistons were .140 in the hole.........the tranny was also a lot more heavy duty...........kim........

Add to that a special attention to detail. The distributor had a brass bushing and with the external oil cooler the return line went to a special hollow bolt holding on the fuel pump that sprayed the timing chain with oil. There was also a higher volume fuel pump where the diaphragm was offset to allow the usage of the hollow bolt. I regular fuel pump doesn't allow for using the bolt.

This should answer lots of questions.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0pjW8Ss0WI"]Classic California Highway Patrol Cars - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube[/ame]

A 6,000 LB charger ?!? WTF was it a former dukes of hazzard jump car with concrete filling the trunk for ballast or something?? I thought B Body 2 door coupes were 3,600-3,800 LBs.

Unless its a new charger pursuit special cop car with all the extra crap required by law enforcement but still 6,000 lbs is freakin heavy.

Had some idiot at work tell me my 67 cuda weighs 4,000Lbs uuuum NO. Its curb weight is approx 3,100 lbs with a full tank of fuel.

The trunk is FULL. Full auto m16 A1, S&W short barrel Patrol rifle, two shotguns, full custom scoped .308 bolt gun, **** ton of ammo, medical supplies, evidence kit, and Lord knows what else.

-
Back