Polished

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
Anyone ever polished their motor? I mean everything from the block to the heads. I have started smoothing all the casting flash from everything already so it will be smooth even if I do decide to paint it (gold with lots of flake) :D

100_1117.jpg

100_1120.jpg

It's going in this
DSC05112.jpg

Cool! But if you took some cooked bacon and rubbed it on the engine block I bet it would turn it clear and you could see the pistons bangin up and down!! :toothy10:

After you polish the motor rub the entire thing with bacon grease! It'll make it shiny & keep it from rusting. And every time you fire it up it'll smell like BACON!

Nice truck! I can see about 9-10 inch wide rims on that thing. 56? Love the fat fenders.

Nice truck! I can see about 9-10 inch wide rims on that thing. 56? Love the fat fenders.

Thanks, It's a 53. 53-55 were pretty much all the same except for the grill, 56 had a squared upper cab and an overhang on the front of the roof, 53-55 were called "slant cabs".
The rims are big *** Outlaws that are just rollers for now. I want either a set of chrome wires (not Daytons) or a set of steelies with chrome lug nuts and rings with wide whites.

A 53 was what I learned to drive in, it was my uncles. We had it at our logging camp in Alaska back in the late 60's. My Grandpa would let me drive it around on the logging roads on the week-ends when no one was working.
I think your is going to have a little bit bigger motor in yours though!
Good looking project, hope to get to see it someday.

Anyone ever polished their motor? I mean everything from the block to the heads. I have started smoothing all the casting flash from everything already so it will be smooth even if I do decide to paint it (gold with lots of flake) :D

I know that anything aluminum can be polished but not sure about the block or heads. I would imagine that it would have to be cleared after polishing so it wouldn't rust. That's a good question.

i love the idea. i heardx of someone doin this and it would not stay cool. all the lil bumps cool the motor a lot more then you think about. i think his was a big block camaro that he had a aluminum radiator in with a pusher and a puller fan on the rad and it still got hott just thought i would point it out lol. it will look amazing tho:) have you thought of gettin it chromed? or send the block and heads to psc and get ceramic coated?

I have seen a 350 at a swapmeet that was all polished. Everything from the top of the blower to the drain plug on the oil pan was polished and clear coated, that is kinda where I got the idea. My buddy runs a very well known chrome shop in downtown Seattle and even with the "buddy discount" I would have to fork over a whole lot of $$$ to get everything done. I'm thinking it would be a few weekends of me, a bottle of Gentleman Jack, the stereo and a several buffing wheels before it is ready for clear coat.

Cooling I don't think will be a problem with the radiator that I have for this truck, I'm guessing that it may actually be overkill. I will have to run the part number to be sure but if I remember right it is a brand new 2000 Dodge 1 ton truck radiator, this thing is huge and with a 7 blade clutch fan, hand made shroud and a 518 overdrive tranny it shouldn't overheat at all.

I have done it......it takes a lot of work to get to look just right. The block I did had casting splatter all over it. It looked pretty cool when it was done. However I put it in the car and you cant really tell that it was all smooth.

Love those trucks.....

-
Back