polyglas or rubber

-

Mopar318Guy

bear jew
Reaction score
i know that polyglas tires are retro and they look pretty sweet with a square lookin sidewall. but im gettin to the point where im puttin my car on the road here in a few months. i have some normal rubber tires 215/70/14s for the rear and 205/70/14s for the front. and i have a set of 10.2 by 27 inch polyglas tires with 205/70/14s for the front. also polyglas. and they feel really hard to the touch adn i dont know how theyd handle a light *** heavy front 300hp Dodge Dart Sport. and info of pros and cons of polyglas tires. do they grip better or worse. i have one on my truck and it lights up and smoke pretty good but as far as performance im not sure.... input????

thanks

It's been a while since Goodyear made a Polyglas tire, so you're having to deal with tire deterioration issues on that score. They were standard on Hemi E-body so an A-body should they be up to the task. The more square shouldered a tire is, the more prone it is to tracking. This means it will tend to seek out things like street car tracks and will be less gradual getting free of them.

I drove my barracuda around with poly glas tires on it for a couple of summers and your right about them following the grooves in the road. There also really bad in the rain. They do seem to wear really well though and will last a long time.

DSCN1777.JPG

Wore out a bunch of Polyglas tires back in the day, and I would have to say that compared to what is available now they are absolute rubbish. I wouldn't use one for a spare. They may be OK for a trailer queen, but I don't own any of those.

I guess it all depends on what you want, if you want a better ride go with the radials and if you want a more correct look go with the poly glas. I dont happen to think the ride is that bad they just seem to follow the grooves in the road a little. Mine are also brand new and the rubber is alot softer.

I guess it all depends on what you want, if you want a better ride go with the radials and if you want a more correct look go with the poly glas. I dont happen to think the ride is that bad they just seem to follow the grooves in the road a little. Mine are also brand new and the rubber is alot softer.
i just wanted know know how road holding is. seems radials are better. but i have some polys bout 10 iches wide. guess ill have to burn them off and change my pic on here. im droppin a new 318 in my Dart. 270+ hp. so itll be reallllllllll fun

Dont even waste your time with polyglass tires unless you are doing a correct resto car. They handle like SHAT !!!!! !!!!!!!

I had a set of new Coker redlines on a car and couldnt get them off fast enough.

Radials all the way.

Its a shame no one has made a radial that looks like a poly-glass. They would sell like hot cakes.

I love the look of Polyglas Good Year tires! They don't handle the best but that is why I have other rims mounted on radials. I have 7 original, almost mint F-70 14's for our 2 1970 Dart's, can't wait to put them on someday! BTW, still looking for an 8th tire if anyone has one! I have vintage skinny 5.60-15 Uniroyal tires on the front my 66 Valiant, went almost 120 mph on those old bastards!! I would love to find some old fat bias ones for the rear, just to get that old school look!! :toothy10:

I love the look of Polyglas Good Year tires! They don't handle the best but that is why I have other rims mounted on radials. I have 7 original, almost mint F-70 14's for our 2 1970 Dart's, can't wait to put them on someday! BTW, still looking for an 8th tire if anyone has one! I have vintage skinny 5.60-15 Uniroyal tires on the front my 66 Valiant, went almost 120 mph on those old bastards!! I would love to find some old fat bias ones for the rear, just to get that old school look!! :toothy10:
i have some. 26 by 10 on a 14 by 7 inch aluminum rally slot. they got square tread. i wouldnt trust them with your life but theyd be fun as hell to burn off and they make anything look bitchin. there wide wide wideee

Its a shame no one has made a radial that looks like a poly-glass. They would sell like hot cakes.

BFGoodrich makes a red-line radial.
Doesnt have the same square look as a poly-glass though.

!! I would love to find some old fat bias ones for the rear, just to get that old school look!! :toothy10:

Dang. I was going to show you a pic of some that came on my duster, but I must have lost that pic when my cpu crashed a couple of months back. Mine are Hercules L60's bias-plys! I took one of them to the local tire shop to fix a slow leak (the fella that runs it has 50 years in the buisness)! & he looked at it & said "Damn! Where did you find that thing"!!! "That tire is at least 25yrs. old". & this is comming from a guy that knows tires!

Come on now, you know you want some!!
mtt-7034.jpg

25 year old tires are usually as hard as steel rimmed wagon wheels and handle about the same. They are fine but for riding around on, I wouldn't do it.
New temporary spares (donuts) would be a better choice.

25 year old tires are usually as hard as steel rimmed wagon wheels and handle about the same. They are fine but for riding around on, I wouldn't do it.
New temporary spares (donuts) would be a better choice.

Yup, thats why I put a set of quicktimes on it. They were getting dry rotted BAD. Plus the quick times are shorter, so the rear end of the car isint "all jacked up" so to say......

If Your Front End (suspension) Is Tight, With A New (repos) Polyglass Of Wide Ovals They Drive Pretty Good, But There Is Nothing Like Riding & Driving On Radial Tires, The Factory Stopped Using Bias Ply Tires Around 1974, Tires Have Come A Long Way In 34 Years. There Is A Place For Both.

BTW, it's not "polyglas vs. rubber" -- all tires are rubber where they hit the road. Polyglas is a brand name for a fiberglass belted bias-ply tire -- modern radials generally have steel belts -- but this is referring to the internal construction, not the tread.

I don't think there is any question that bias-ply tires are inferior to modern radials, in all aspects of ride and handling, but if you want the look of period tires on your show car, that's the way you have to go. Just remember to drive it like you did in the 60s...

==========================
Max
1967 Fastback
Johnny Lightning Muscle Cars USA #14
273 Commando
Factory disc brakes
Mountain View, CA

-
Back