Poor quality lifters

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
I've been reading on here a lot on problems with hydraulic lifters, what's going on with them? I read that you can use mechanical lifters on a hydraulic cam as long as both are a flat tappet cam,is this true and is it a good idea? I found David Vizard books at a book store and I'm getting me a copy.

good question, I'm going solid after having bad lifters after 2000 or so miles, but if I can put solid lifters on my hydraulic cam, I could save some money.

Just remember, even if you go solid, a lobe can still get wiped out.

True. If it wasn't so expensive I'd go retrofit hydraulic roller cam
Going foward, I'm just going to try to use roller blocks. Although, I'll be doing another hyd flat tappet cam swap in the Spring.

You might know this: Why are solid lifters more expensive than hyd? Seems there would be more to the process with hyd, which would raise the cost.
After Christmas I have a 1970 dart to check out. It needs a little interior work but it's asking price of $14,500 obo makes it worth while looking into

After Christmas I have a 1970 dart to check out. It needs a little interior work but it's asking price of $14,500 obo makes it worth while looking into
Your in Missouri? Why did I think you were in Florida..... :realcrazy:

Do solid lifter cams require a lot of valve adjustment? The only ones I ever had were on a slant 6

Yes, that's why the Hemi went to hydraulic lifters in 1970 because people weren't adjusting the valves often enough..

Yes, that's why the Hemi went to hydraulic lifters in 1970 because people weren't adjusting the valves often enough..

Any dipshit could buy a Hemi. It’s not that they weren’t adjusting them often enough, it’s that they adjusted them wrong. Still happens today.

Any dipshit could buy a Hemi. It’s not that they weren’t adjusting them often enough, it’s that they adjusted them wrong. Still happens today.
I'm sure that it does. But the old slant 6 never seen high rpm's, I don't remember for sure but I think that I only adjusted them a couple times a year.

once you go solid you will never go back to hydraulic. i switched to solid in the 80's and never looked back .

Do solid lifter cams require a lot of valve adjustment? The only ones I ever had were on a slant 6
If you use crappy worn out 50 plus year old adjustable rockers, yeah, they're gonna require frequent adjustments.

Real simple. If you use the stock adjustable rockers, upgrade to the good quality adjusters. Mancini sells them. You might have to dress the top of the adjuster hole a little with a file to make sure the adjuster nuts make proper contact all the way around. I didn't have to touch mine. They fit and work good. As long as you use good quality adjusters, you might need to adjust once a year. Might not.

I've been reading on here a lot on problems with hydraulic lifters, what's going on with them? I read that you can use mechanical lifters on a hydraulic cam as long as both are a flat tappet cam,is this true and is it a good idea
Kinda surprised no cam experts have chimed in (which I am not), but there is a difference in the ramps on the hydraulic and mechanical cams..... otherwise the lifters COULD pretty much interchange no big deal. I would think hydraulic cam ramps would/could be more aggressive than mechanical, although you may think the opposite may be true.... this is the reason the really nasty mechanical cams need to be roller lifter style because they have seriously aggressive ramps and are hard on valvetrain.

I've got Crane iron adjustable rockers, barely used, like new, so, I know I'm good to go. I'm just going solid cam and be done with it.

-
Back