pop off valve

-

slantscamp

Reaction score
ok, this may be a dumb question. but when do you need a pop off valve? im putting a b&m 144 on my slant six. i bought a kit for a 350 chevy. there was no pop off valve on the manifold for the 350. i have been reading online trying to figure out when you need one. do the smaller superchargers not need one? my buddy is making my adapter plate and was asking me if he needs to put one in, but im not sure. i guess it couldnt hurt right? if the car back fires or theres too much boost for any reason the valve will open... thanks for any help

-aaron-

from what the machineshop that makes my manifold says its something you absolutely want a backfire is a pretty meen hit to the rotors in the blower,strong enough to flex the rotors far enough to make them hit eachother and the blower case if this happens you will ruin both the rotors and the case.
this is what i was told,but im working with a twinscrew wich has supertight tolerances to seal real well without any kind of stripes or any kind of metal in contact with anything else.
im going with a popoff valve and nomather what i think it may be better to be safe than sorry :)

Forced induction without any way to relieve the pressure is a recipe for disaster.

thanks guys, i plan on installing one, i read on holleys tech site, they say they dont put them on the 144's because its a serpentine style belt, and it will slip if there is a backfire, but since i already have to fabricate and adapter, i might as well add one. thanks again.

-
Back