Pop Out Window Resto - Part 1

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
This is partly a product review and partly a walk through for restoring the pop out vent windows. Hopefully it'll help anyone who is also thinking about doing it.

Car is a 1970 Duster.

First thing first... you need to have a lot of patience for one specific part of this. If you are having a bad day, put it down and walk away. Mad at your wife, girlfriend, kid, dog, etc., put it down and walk away. You've been warned.

Seals and install kit are from Detroit Muscle Technologies. It is a nice kit, but very overpriced (just my humble opinion). Came to about $200 with shipping and tax. The large U shaped seals are very good quality, made by Precision. The foam strips are fine, no problems. The only issue I had is with the flocked mylar strips that act as the "hinge", along with the plastic tabs. I'll get to that shortly.

Part # ADU7076QS10
upload_2020-11-4_21-14-28.png

First, used my 3" buffer to clean up the outside of the glass and buff out some fine scratches (that became noticeable when the tint went on).
PB042219.JPG

I sanded the window frames, then sealed them. Laid down the foam strips and installed the seals. The seals are pliable and flexible, so they weren't too bad to install. I did use a small, flat scraper to push the seals into the channel and then the palm of my hand to seat them all the way down. Also took a few minutes on the buffing wheel to clean up the release latch.
PB042225.JPG

PB042221.JPG

PB042223.JPG

I wet sanded the chrome anchor posts with 600 grit, and spent an hour at the buffer with 4 different rouges (black, green, white, blue).
PB042227.JPG

PB042230.JPG

Next, I test fit the mylar into the "channel". The profile of the DMT mylar pieces are not the same as the originals, which does alter the final appearance a bit. Nothing major. You can see how the original slides under the chrome lip, but the DMT is kind of wedged in. Yes, the flocking has worn off, but it's still different.
PB042235.JPG

PB042236.JPG
PB042238.JPG

Part 2 coming...

Last edited:
You can see how the original slides under the chrome lip, but the DMT is kind of wedged in. Yes, the flocking has worn off, but it's still different

That plastic looks suprizingly like the plastic on the front side window slides I did last year on my 67 dart.

Your photo #8 and this is the part for the front window to vent frame.

16048580765685664228257891536680.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back