Popular Myths

-

grumpuscreature

Resident Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Spent Tuesday getting Hester ('66 V200 4 door) swapped over to disc brakes on the front. Got everything except the calipers off a '75 Duster in Missoula, MT (ebag). Poor girl was on the rack for 10 hours, but she now has brakes, all new brake lines, new ball joints and control arm bushings, a 4 wheel alignment, and new tires on 14X5.5 wheels from another '75 Duster in Chicago, IL (ditto). Got all this done for $400 in labor and the parts I have been accumulating. The wife is pissed and thinks I got ripped off. I guess it hasn't sunk in yet that I can't do stuff like that anymore. Now, on to the myths:

Calipers should be mounted to the rear, and A body brake hoses are too short.
My calipers are mounted to the front because that is the way God and Ma Mopar intended it to be. Also used '75 Duster brake hoses (gotta tell the counter guy something). At full lock there was a sharp bend where the hose meets the metal line to the caliper and the hose was tight. Put the hose in a vise, slipped a piece of pipe over it, and put a slight bend (around 30 degrees) in the end of the metal line, away from the spindle. At full lock the sharp bend is gone and the hose is straight but there is still a little slack.

Used a small bore master cylinder ('74 Charger) and love the brakes. My pedal travels roughly 1/4 of the way to the floor and stops. The neat part is that I have braking from the time I touch the brake pedal until I take my foot off the pedal. It doesn't feel like I am pressing on a rock harder and harder to stop, just a nice easy progression to lock up. Hester will stop on a dime and give you 7 cents change. I'm a happy man.

Glad it worked out. Now what did you do to the rears axles to make them big bolt?

I have a 66 and I just got a deal on the front end with big bolt.

Wives are always mad. Mine says I love my car more than her. She got ticked because I bought floor pans last week and I just bought the brakes last night. LOL

Yep!! I herd that you was out in the shop yesterday.:D
Hester is sporting pads know,:thumleft:
and a new set of front leg's to boot,
Congrat's Dave. I am so proud for you.:cheers:
So!! Just how hot was it out in the shop yesterday bud ?:shock:
It was 99 deg here and hot enough to fry an egg on a rock.
I wish I could have been there to watch every move.
How are you felling this morning ?
You know you will be my go to guy again. :salute:
When Victoria through's her shoes.
Sounds like you have some good info for us early A folks.
This is a big job you have be hind you know.:blob:

Did you take any pictures for us, or did you plug away and kept to busy?

Was worried about your sternum "chest" But sounds like you made it just fine
Ok, I am jealous :tongue1::-D

Using adapters for now, until I can get brakes on the 8 3/4 that is in the basement. Yeah, it was hot. I was sweating just watching Larry, and no, I didn't take any pictures. Nothing was cleaned and pretty enough for that. Don't have time for that, the car has to leave on a long (1000 miles round trip) trip on Monday. Maybe I'll do that when I get around to "restoring" her.

Grumpus,

You're right about large bore master cylinders. It's all about hydraulics.

A small bore will give you more mechanical advantage with the expense of more travel.

A large bore will reduce travel but reduduce the amount of mechanical advantage (you gotta press harder on the pedal).

The exception to the rule is using a large bore master with the matching power booster. I swapped out my original master and booster on the Ramcharger for a large bore master/booster out of a 3/4 ton of the same year. The booster is a dual diaphram type that also has the advantage of a reduced circumference for clearance. I can lock up my 33x12.5 tires at will but they are progressive and are not touchy, plus I have a nice high pedal.

-
Back