por-15 application question

-

dartman74

Reaction score
I was looking at purchasing the Por-15 trunk and floor pan kit. Do you have to remove the paint from the pans and trunk before applying the por-15? It states that everything is in the kit that you need but it doesn't list the paint stripper. Any advice would be appreciated.

Its best to put it over bare metal or rust converted metal. Any paint stripper should be fine, just be sure you remove all residue before you paint.

I havent used the floor pan and trunk kit, I used the por15 for my k frame and I had sandblasted it before applying it. Im happy with it. There will be instructions with it, so you will have to read them before buying. Try googling POR.

4spdragtop

POR15 is to be applied on rust and is cure by moisture in the air. This product is years old and the pattend was sold including the name to the company now selling it. The new Product that the original founders have devaloped is called "Chassis Saver" This is the same as POR15 but can be applied over rust , bare metal, paint , Primer., or undercoat. I have used Both Chassis saver is the new and improved product but I don't see much difference

If you chip por15 and get under it on any surface but rust . You will find it peals off very easy. I have seen cars that have had POR15 on for awhile where it just started to flake off. From my experience These products are good for putting over rust only where you want a fast and easy cure for a rusted surface on a floor or frame.

There is nothing that adheres better then epoxy primer.

Good example is We POR15'd around a windchield flange on a car that was a glue in. It had some surface rust so POR15 was a fast fix. After the car was done about three weeks later my freind was cleaning the winshield . As he was pushing out on the inside he found the winshield was moving. The only thing that was holding that winshield in was the Chrome trim. The eurothane glue stuck fast to th POR15 but the POR15 was no longer attached tho the frame. Glass companies always use epoxy primer wonder why?

I did my hole engine compartment & fender wells with POR 15 in 1989, I used it over bare metal that had the paint stripped with stripper and any rust was removed with Oxysolve than primed and painted with excellent results. As far as the chassis stuf goes I used that on my F250 frame, which was badly rusted, I just wire wheeled it and then painted and the shiat pealed off within a yr.

DSCF0529.jpg

DSCF0424.jpg

I used Por-15 about 4 years ago under the hole body of my Scamp. Sand blasted, then treated it with the acid edging they give you. Then painted it with two coat as stated in the directions. The Por-15 is still on with no problems. I also treated a piece of sheet metal on both sides to teast it. I hit the piece of sheet metal with a ball peen hammer on both sides. The Por-15 never cracked or pelled off. Here is a picture, has dust on it from sand blasting other stuff.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 194
-
Back