Por15, Eastwood rust encapsulator something else?

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What’s your preference for a rust proofing coating? Going onto a truck frame and will be painted over.

IMG_3736.jpeg

Are you going to blast it clean, or just clean it up and paint it? If you blast it, spray it with epoxy primer like PPG DP90LF, let it sit for a day and then spray your color right over the top of....no need to even sand it within that time frame between epoxy and paint. If you're just gonna wire brush it and paint it, just buy black implement paint at Tractor Supply, thin it a little and add the hardener they also sell to go in it...and spray it. POR-15 is a lot more expensive and won't do you any better of a job than the implement paint.

Are you going to blast it clean, or just clean it up and paint it? If you blast it, spray it with epoxy primer like PPG DP90LF, let it sit for a day and then spray your color right over the top of....no need to even sand it within that time frame between epoxy and paint. If you're just gonna wire brush it and paint it, just buy black implement paint at Tractor Supply, thin it a little and add the hardener they also sell to go in it...and spray it. POR-15 is a lot more expensive and won't do you any better of a job than the implement paint.
Brush and paint over was the plan. Mainly wanting to prevent rust in the future.

This?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rust-oleum-specialty-farm-implement-gloss-black-1-gal

If you don't already have one, you can buy a cheap spray gun at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight to spray it with. Those purple guns at Harbor Freight do an excellent job for the money.

:thumbsup:

If you don't already have one, you can buy a cheap spray gun at Northern Tool or Harbor Freight to spray it with. Those purple guns at Harbor Freight do an excellent job for the money.

:thumbsup:
Was planning on brushing it on. Don’t really have an air compressor at the moment. Lightning took out the air electric and everything attached to it, still waiting on insurance to figure it out

Yep, that will work. Scroll down in that link and there is a different brand that is the same thing....$20 cheaper. The Catalyst you put in it is down there towards the bottom too.
Yeah, I saw the cheaper brand, it has horrible reviews though.

Yep, that will work. Scroll down in that link and there is a different brand that is the same thing....$20 cheaper. The Catalyst you put in it is down there towards the bottom too.

It should be brushable too.
Hell Walmart sells it for half the price of tractor supply. Never would have guess that

"Chassis Saver" Same previous company as POR15 This is the updated product they brought out after selling POR15 company.

Chassis Saver can be put over everything with better adhesion, Where POR15 should go on rust only, It peels from paint and bare metal. Also Chassis Saver is UV friendly where POR15 is not it , POR15 must be top coated

chassis saver - Google Search

Paid $800 for 5 stage powder coating... baked off grease, sandblasted, rust resistant powder coat, metallic silver powder coating, and clear powder coating...
Hanging white is actually the unbaked clear coat....
IMG_20210426_085117.jpg

IMG_20210417_193226.jpg

IMG_20210510_112322.jpg

IMG_20210510_133119.jpg

IMG_20210510_133136.jpg

IMG_20210513_145746.jpg

Brush on Eastwood rust encapsulator plus, then spray satin Rustoleum paint and primer in one.
Done it for years with no issues.

Eastwood stuff goes a long way, and can be applied over paint, bare metal, and rust.

I used this stuff all over the cab and it works great! ... two coats and it would probably deflect bullets...

I prefer Rustoleum Insustrial oil based DTM. It's much less messy than POR15, less costly and actually WORKS.

POR 15 and DOM 15 are both junk. Look under any enclosed trailer even 3 months after they leave the dealer.

Not a bad idea. I’ll call around
I called around as well, and of course the place that did it was the place that a couple of people that did it said not to go to... Well, it was getting all the business because he didn't wasn't overprised... Also, he did the sandblasting and powder coating, not just the powder coating. Some places had it sent out to someone for sandblasting thus being out of his control, let alone out of yours... I got all the quotes I wanted to hear over the phone but when I trailered it around to people. I got vastly different numbers...

The only negative thing I've read about POR
Is that the finish will turn flat after its exposed to much sunlight and that sometimes when painted over had problems sticking.
It's damn hard to get off your skin without using vegetable oil

The only negative thing I've read about POR
Is that the finish will turn flat after its exposed to much sunlight and that sometimes when painted over had problems sticking.
It's damn hard to get off your skin without using Muriatic acid in conjunction with a sandblaster!
There.....I fixed it for you. :poke: :lol:

-
Back