Port match

-

buddyralf

Reaction score
Hello all. What do you think a port match is worth in HP. (340, Aluminum heads, M1 intake)
I am thinking of port matching my intake to heads, and my heads to exhaust. Is it worth the time and effort of taking if apart to gain perhaps 5 hp, or is it more than just HP gains? What do you all think?

the better they flow the more you get. hard to say without seeing what you have.

Its a 340 with Eddy heads and a M1 duel plane, the headers are Headman Tight tubs. I have the valve covers off right now to change the rocker arms to rollers, and the headers are off because of a small leak on one end of each. I was just wondering, should I take the intake off and gasket match it to the heads as well as gasket matching the headers. I know this will improve flow but is it worth the work? How far off could they be as cast?

104_0411.jpg

A port match will help it but it's hard to say how much. Manufacturing tolerances play a part in how well things match up. I've seen some that were very close and others that were quite a way off. I'd guess anywhere between 5-15 hp is what you'd attain but that's just a guess. Sounds like allot of work even if it's 15 hp. If it was apart it would be a no brainer and I'd do it. Since it's put together I probably wouldn't worry about it but that's just me.

-
Back