Port matching heads and intake

-

cuda2ya

Reaction score
Hey can any of you guys give me an idea on how to port match your heads to your intake? Do I have to assemble them up (mock) just use the intake gasket? Im open for sugestions Thanks Ed.

A good way to do a pro gasket match is to use the plastic locators to hold the gasket on the heads, then bolt the intake down 'torqued to spec', then drill a small locating hole through the intake/gasket/head next to each '2nd from end' intake bolt. Once this is done, remove the intake/gaskets, locate the gasket to the intake with the hole drilled by using extra drill bits or small bolts and port match, then do the same on the heads port windows.

The regular guy way is to use some bolts to align the gasket on the head, use a felt pen to blacken out the material that needs to be removed…….

Do the same to the intake and start grinding.

I hadent heard about the drilling trick , sounds good, as to aligning the gasket to the head seperatly I would thinkthat you could still have a little misalignment .However that was my first thought. Thanks. Any more welcome. Hey one more thought, shouldnt the heads be fastened to the block with the same gaskets and then the intake fastened and then located (ie drilled) because of mill work or facing of the heads?

I hadent heard about the drilling trick , sounds good, as to aligning the gasket to the head seperatly I would thinkthat you could still have a little misalignment .However that was my first thought. Thanks. Any more welcome. Hey one more thought, shouldnt the heads be fastened to the block with the same gaskets and then the intake fastened and then located (ie drilled) because of mill work or facing of the heads?

Yes have the heads/mocked up with gaskets of corse.
The idea is to stay inside the gasket, which is what you get when scribing because you are inside the line.

With the drilling way and 1/8 bits, as long as you set the bits in straight and then tape the gasket, you should be fine.

It's a lot more accurate then sliding some loose fitting bolts through it, then find the heads don't really sit against the head that way and are higher/lower...so much for the gasket match cause now you have a little ledge, those holes are loose on the intake

Thats all I am saying.

I wouldnt spend the time on it ----- unless your after that 2.6 hp gain you might see...

-
Back