ported 906 heads....

-

Rolling_Thunder

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
i am curious how these will work on top of the engine I am building... i have them on but need reassurance. They were pocket ported and cleaned up - not a full race style port and polish but just a little clean up... they are 906 castings --- i am going to be running a hydraulic camshaft from MOPAR (284*/284* - .484"/.484") should these heads be alright for a street motor ?

I have a set of Mopar template ported 452's. I had the 2.14 Intake and the 1.81 exhaust valves put in mine. It's on a stack cast piston 1968 383 .I used the exact cam you have , I did grind little eyebrows in the top of the cylinder to provide a little extra clearance for the exhaust valves. I was not too sure if it was required but I did it anyhow. All I can say is my combination really seems to haul a$$. It's in a 68 Barracuda, hopefully I am going to get to the track this weekend. I am hoping for low 13's maybe high 12's if I am lucky. See the pics attached of my heads.fastback383

11010263kc.jpg

11010190km.jpg

11010142pe.jpg

Yes they are an excellent street head as long as they are opened up in the bowl area . I like the .484 Mopar cam better than any other hydraulic they offer, including the .509. It has very good throttle response and power.
You can't go wrong with this combination.

Thats a nice combo. Just make sure you use enough convertor. We had stock 452 heads on the 383 that was in my sons Dart. They had some mild pocket porting that we did to them and that was it. It also used the MP .484 cam. All stock shortblock with stock bore. It also used all stock valvetrain and Crane sigle springs with stock valves. Had the normal bolt ons like RPM intake and 750 DP along with headers. Had a TA 10" tight 3000 convertor and 3.91's. Car ran a best of 12.31 @ 110 and I loved that .484 cam. It will make decent power with the right convertor. 906 heads are just about the exact same as the 452's. Ron

Well i'll be running a 5-speed manual trans so i need not worry about stall speed :) the heads were ported in the bowls... so - hopefully this will be a good combo for a heavy B-body....

there was quite good article in mopar muscle about porting BB heads(1999???), look at their web page. Two things: pocket porting(MP templates good) and short side roundness. Easy HP!!! Then if you have energy left, narrow the guide bosses(quite huge originally) and make corners bit rounder than in that picture(below the valve quide) else it makes turbulence behind the valve. Exhaust not that critical. And backcut valves(5minutes=few cfm). I Have now 70 cc 452 heads going on my engine with all those mods, flowed nicely. And new Comp XE274 cam, I heard its quite exellent.

-
Back