Ported X head pics

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Trying to do a DIY gasket match/port job on my Xheads.
Anyone willing to share pics?
Not looking to break any records, just improvements is the goal.
Thanks
Steve

20230123_184728.jpg

20230123_184655.jpg

Thanks Al, Ive read that Dulchich article, BUT the title "X head buildup" and the content dont match lol. They port a smog 360 head with 051 casting.
They refer LOTS to the X heads they have but are left on the shelf and not worked on in that article unfortunately.
Here is a very cool link to the DC porting templates. Of course some LA heads are NOT included including the X...:BangHead:
Ill give that video a watch Al.:thumbsup:
https://www.bigblockmopar.nl/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/MoparPortingTemplates-RB_LA_Magnum.pdf
Here you go Steve.

I was looking at this very topic a few days ago!

340 X Head Buildup - Mopar Muscle Magazine

Not a ton of help I’m sure but these are the only two I have from my heads apparently.

955121B2-B2D1-4CFE-B571-A461D05B0DB5.jpeg

929DB6C0-F78F-48B9-8CF4-69AC8B765D09.jpeg

Your not likely to gain and maybe lose some with a gasket match. I would suggest following Charles servedio mission impossible series on YouTube. While the heads and intake manifold he is porting are not x heads and a 4 barrel intake, much knowledge can be ascertained to port what you are using and get best flow results from porting. He has been porting for over 40 some years.

J- 65 ccs but some say maybe up to 72 ...
X- 63 ccs...

other than that ports etc. very similar if not the same.
OP looks good. better to do it on Js than x heads I do believe the X heads are more desirable being the early 340 head.

Your not likely to gain and maybe lose some with a gasket match. I would suggest following Charles servedio mission impossible series on YouTube. While the heads and intake manifold he is porting are not x heads and a 4 barrel intake, much knowledge can be ascertained to port what you are using and get best flow results from porting. He has been porting for over 40 some years.
The knowledge I gained from this series is unbelievable. I had no idea that air would flow like this through a head. Also see David Visard’s YouTube channel for more good information on porting. He is also working on the mission impossible buildup, doing the rotating assembly mods. Really good stuff.

Not much from what I’ve been told. I’ve heard the casting is nearly identical if not identical. 2.02 J heads were on the 71 340 motors and some will say very early 72. I have a very early 72 and it had 1.88 J heads.

Thanks, X's are what I had available(and freshened)so that's what I used.
Lol, those cc's may be in print, but both @CFD244 and I have measured with widely varying results.
X- 63 ccs...

OP looks good. better to do it on Js than x heads I do believe the X heads are more desirable being the early 340 head.

X- 63 ccs...

Yep, if I had the choice, port the J’s and sell the x’s to a restorer.

Last edited:
Well I guess someone needs to find me some 2.02 J's and a buyer for my X's to help ease my guilt.
I have over $500 into the machinist on these X's, soooo what would anyone like to pay?
Until then I'll keep bumping this thread.

Well I guess someone needs to find me some 2.02 J's and a buyer for my X's to help ease my guilt.
I have over $500 into the machinist on these X's, soooo what would anyone like to pay?
Until then I'll keep bumping this thread.
Xs are fine keep em. everyone on the web is a racer so keep that in mind. They will say xs are junk to buy aftermarket aluminum. If I were racing id do that. the most I have in race parts is a single plane intake and a 750 holley, maybe my 3 91 rear could be considered race but it came that way from the factory. The xs in my opinion work with the positive deck height pistons for that original early 340 compression ratio. Js are late 340-360 heads and some TA heads were J castings. Some say Js came from the factory with 2.02s but a book i have says they were all 1.88s. X heads were all 2.02s. X heads are collector pieces for a correct resto they are great. Js are also great and it is said they flow much better with 2.02s.

Thanks, X's are what I had available(and freshened)so that's what I used.
Lol, those cc's may be in print, but both @CFD244 and I have measured with widely varying results.
agreed i do beleive the thing wiith either head is for compression to run the positive deck height pistons but then again on todays gas 9.5 to 1 may be ideal.

Xs are fine keep em. everyone on the web is a racer so keep that in mind. They will say xs are junk to buy aftermarket aluminum. If I were racing id do that. the most I have in race parts is a single plane intake and a 750 holley, maybe my 3 91 rear could be considered race but it came that way from the factory. The xs in my opinion work with the positive deck height pistons for that original early 340 compression ratio. Js are late 340-360 heads and some TA heads were J castings. Some say Js came from the factory with 2.02s but a book i have says they were all 1.88s. X heads were all 2.02s. X heads are collector pieces for a correct resto they are great. Js are also great and it is said they flow much better with 2.02s.
I personally have two sets of factory 2.02 J heads. Only came that way on late 70 blocks that were built for early 71 model cars.

I personally have two sets of factory 2.02 J heads. Only came that way on late 70 blocks that were built for early 71 model cars.
What is the indicator to you that they are factory? I have a set of 2.02 Js that when i took them apart, the intakes were knurled while the exhaust valevs have wear, that indicated to me the 2.02s were added later. Now I have to have guides installed but oh well that's the gamble on 50year old parts. I have heard about factory js, but I do know punching the 1.88s to 2.02 was common practice. This was when the 1.88 valves sunk and new seats needed ground. i suppos emy point is unless its early 1972 right now, and I am tearing into a 340 with js that is 1 year old how would we know? I took my info from a book that has been around since the 80s I dont mean to spread bad info. But i suppose it doesnt matter .its 2023 who really cares about any of this. this is why Uncle Tony gets away with his BS daily. I know what I have you know what you have,at the end of the day thats all that matters. What I have is, 1 set of x heads...2 sets of js one with 2.02s, one with 1.88s... I also have a complete LA 318 collecting dust. When someoine actually convinces me that a 318 LA smog engine is worth dumping money and tome into I may open it up till them, Ill wait for someone to offer me stupid money for it...:)

I'm sure I've seen photos of a sectioned j head posted up on this forum before, if you can find them they would be good to study and refer to as your working

X or J should be very similar if not the same casting as Js though have the larger combustion chambers. For Porting they should be exact I'm thinking. Its when you get into blueprinting and computing CR that there may be differences.

Pistons stick out approx 0.017 and .030 over bore.
At this point I'm gonna try to tweak #2 a little more and try to mimic it for 4,6,8.
agreed i do beleive the thing wiith either head is for compression to run the positive deck height pistons but then again on todays gas 9.5 to 1 may be ideal.

It’s pretty well known on the 71 2.02 J heads I believe. However you can do some research to find more on them. J TA heads also had 2.02 valves. I know my 71 340 had OE head gaskets and was a standard bore and looked to have never been apart.

02A0FA29-7C95-413A-9B25-21A5DD8C1A40.png

Interesting. I have a set of Js with 2.02s but they look to have been upgraded from 1.88s.

-
Back