Posi Question

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Hi guys, quick question. Have a 8.75 with 3:91. I got the posi about 2 years ago from a shop that was bench tested however lately I noticed that when the rear is up off the ground and one wheel held tight the other will move about 5 degrees off centre then grab or lock both. Basiclly a total of about 10 degrees movement back and forth with one wheel on the ground. This happens with both sides. I'm still getting posi, however one side seem to "bite" a little later? (yes in gear, and no driveshaft movent when wheel moves)

Question: bad cones, backlash setup, This is suppose to happen?

There no "bad" noise...clicks, thumps ect....well maybe a tad going into gear. Other then that just the regular old noisey 8.75 hum.

I Believe He Means Suregrip (made The "p" Mistake Only Once Wish I Could Say They Will Forget But I Am Still Reminded 14 Years Later)

I'm just lazy.....posi is shorter then saying suregrip- like the word f*ck instead of intercourse?? So, if I say "suregrip" can ya help me out knowing now what were talking about? :lol:

If it is a clutch style, the friction plates have tangs that slide into a notch in the carrier. The notch is wider than the tangs, so it sound like it is the movement of the tangs back and forth in the slot. It wouldn't take much movement at the small diameter of the carrier to be multiplied to larger movement at the outside diamter of the tire.

I liked your explaination on the shorter term posi thing, LOL.

It's no big deal about the posi thing, I read all the time guys here talk about a six pack on a Plymouth. Plymouth called them 6 barrels. Then there's also calling a Plymouth motor a magnum, supposed to be Super Commando, who cares, we all know what we mean.

Chuck

340mopar said:
If it is a clutch style, the friction plates have tangs that slide into a notch in the carrier. The notch is wider than the tangs, so it sound like it is the movement of the tangs back and forth in the slot. It wouldn't take much movement at the small diameter of the carrier to be multiplied to larger movement at the outside diamter of the tire.

I liked your explaination on the shorter term posi thing, LOL.

It's no big deal about the posi thing, I read all the time guys here talk about a six pack on a Plymouth. Plymouth called them 6 barrels. Then there's also calling a Plymouth motor a magnum, supposed to be Super Commando, who cares, we all know what we mean.

Chuck

Chuck it's "cone" type....will it be the same as what you stated about clutch? Thanks

Cones don't have the notch and tang, I suppose it could be spider and side gear backlash. I sold my last cone type unit a few months, I wish I still had it so I could check it out. Being the side gears ride on the cone and when the cone & carrier starts to wear it will move farther away from the spider gears which would create more clearance between the side and spider gear, it must be this, it's all I can think of without looking at one directly.

Chuck

340mopar said:
Cones don't have the notch and tang, I suppose it could be spider and side gear backlash. I sold my last cone type unit a few months, I wish I still had it so I could check it out. Being the side gears ride on the cone and when the cone & carrier starts to wear it will move farther away from the spider gears which would create more clearance between the side and spider gear, it must be this, it's all I can think of without looking at one directly.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, down the road I'll pull it and have it checked out and overhauled.

340mopar said:

Chuck

I also seem to remember a couple of songs that refer to "Superstock Dodge" automobiles. I might be wrong, but weren't the Dodges called "Ramchargers" & the Plymouths called "Superstock"? :thumbup:

I think you're going in the right direction Jimmy as far as popping that puppy apart and having a look see. Usually with the cone type they lock real quick and it sounds like you may have a worn cone or cup.

Bye the way I like "posi" over sure grip or limited slip or detroit locker blah, blah, blah,

Terry :burnout:

I was not trying to get eeryone fired up, I dont mind what ever you want to call it, I was just sayinI'v taken my ration of sh_t from the mopar guys around here that belive the should be kept stock and spoke of in proper termonoligy, I still get crap every day because i am turning my 340 car into a big block car but i just tell them we can talk about it at the finish line- i'll be waiting for them.

dazedduster said:
I was not trying to get eeryone fired up, I dont mind what ever you want to call it, I was just sayinI'v taken my ration of sh_t from the mopar guys around here that belive the should be kept stock and spoke of in proper termonoligy, I still get crap every day because i am turning my 340 car into a big block car but i just tell them we can talk about it at the finish line- i'll be waiting for them.

Yea, I now what you mean. I get the same BS at shows when people say my Demon shouldn't have a BB in it. I usually tell them to go f**k themselves and stick with their Volkswagon Vans.

dazedduster said:

I don't think anyone is fired up, but something to consider... if you don't like people dogging you with the wrong terminology why would you do the same to someone else? This is the reason I don't do it, I like you can't stand the whole anal terminology thing.

Chuck

I did not mean for it to sound like i was doging him, i figured if he was to going to get his question answered because of the the word posi (first reply to post) i would type the word suregrip to help out. If i had the knowledge to answer the question i would have i just felt bad he was getting reemed insted of helped

-
Back