Posi rear locked up???

-

ramvan3

Reaction score
So I bought a "rebuilt" center section with 3.23 posi gears at a swap meet. Now that it's installed it seems to be locked -up, so that the tires squeal when turning a corner or doing a circle. What should I be looking for to fix the problem. I put Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil and posi additive in when I installed it. :banghead:

So I bought a "rebuilt" center section with 3.23 posi gears at a swap meet. Now that it's installed it seems to be locked -up, so that the tires squeal when turning a corner or doing a circle. What should I be looking for to fix the problem. I put Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil and posi additive in when I installed it. :banghead:
Are they the clutch type or cone type? it could also be a locker. Pictures would help.

Mine does it too, freshly rebuilt clutch type suregrip. It is getting better though.

From working at an auto salvage that rebuilt rearends we ran in to this issue. Isn't there some shims in the third member. If I recall correctly, if there isn't the correct number and thicknesses it will cause the posi to lock up and they very by each set up. The term I heard used was "stacking it too tight". Maybe do some research and see if this takes you anywhere.

-
Back