Possible electric problem?

-

CudaViking

Hails!
Reaction score
Hi guys, my real first real post here.

Ok so I was givin my /6 a tune up not to long ago(Filters, spark plugs, battery etc. etc.) and when I got to changing my spark plug wires I ran into a problem. So right before that the car was starting great. It was dying when I would turn the headlights or wipers on, then would run fine with the wipers or lights only one time like everyday I started it. After installing the wires I got about a second of it trying to start then it died and wont give any fire at all. Now I dont know very much about engine repair or electrical so please bare with me as I give as much info as I can. So we thought it might be my Neutral Safety Switch(which it might still be but im not for sure). Ok so it was turning when my dad would put the screwdriver on the starter(I think thats what he did) but wouldnt fire up. It wont turn at all when I try to start the key. I dont know if it might be an ignition problem, spark plug problem, the Neutral switch, or some kind of short in the wiper/headlight terminal.

Any and ALL help is highly appreciated, ill try to give more details if you ask.

Thanks alot,
Alex

Check you battery voltage or give it a full charge before any attempts at diagnosis.

You said it started to give you problems before you tuned it like wanting to quit when H/L or wipers turned on? if so, this sounds like an electrical problem either at the bulkhead connector, fuseable link or it could even be an ignition switch BUT it would really help to know year, model and trans type to understand the specific electrical system you have.

Start at the battery and work your way into the bulkhead connector area first. Look for the obvious signs of corrosion as an indicator of electrical problem spots, wiring doesn't like to get wet.

It's a little confusing from your post just what problems you're having but you need to separate the starter motor issue with the ignition issue.

First I'd get the starter to turn over and you just may find your ignition problem at the same time. Check voltage on the small wire at the starter relay while the key is on. I'm guessing it's not there since you tried the 'ole screwdriver on the relay trick. If no voltage there then work backwards toward the firewall connector and inside at the fuse box. If no voltage there check your fuseable link near the firewall connector, it may be open.

It would help to know what car you have too.

My dad has a friend that said his car was having 'some' of the dame problems, and he said that there was a larger red wire behind the cluster that he could mess with and his car would start to work. Is it the amp gauge? If so any ideas from there?

yes hes talking about the amp meter wires. a lot of people bypass the meter and it takes care of their problems but you need to start at the battery and get yourself a 12 v test light and check for voltage to stater , starter relay, to bulk head and into igntion switch. if it wont turn at all try like your dad did and jump across the big red wire at the starter relay to the wire running down to the starter , you should turn over the motor if you have battery voltage. what year car is this ? is it points ignition or electronic?

I guess you could call it an "amp gauge" but more properly it's an "ammeter" which measures current flow in amps - either positive or negative.

If you can get to it, just tighten the nuts on the back of the gauge and see if things work. If you bypass the gauge that's ok too but you lose the benefit of having a working ammeter which does tell you if you're charging or not while the engine is running.

Bypass it and put an after market voltage meter in it.

Much safer than the old short fuse..:toothy10:

Also if you don't have one already a cheap voltage/resistance type multi-meter is a must if your going to try to solve wiring problems. YOu can get them or sometimes even rent them at most auto parts stores.

Get one you'll need it.....at least a test light.

-
Back