Possible scammer.

-

Surprise67GT

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
It looks like we might have another scammer. Again, I posted a wanted ad for 1967 Dodge dart fenders. He replied and wanted to continue via email. Again, he just signed up February 8. No other posts. Ban this crook. His username is Jm1m.

Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks to the mods for banning the scammer!

Wow, I hope and trust there was more to the story than shown above...
Do you have a name and location in case he surfaces on another web site?
C

C

My bet is, it's the same guy/gal that has been booted before.

The key is with this person, they prey on the folks that place a "wanted" ad, they PM them and ask the conversation be taken to email.

IF someone agrees to purchase a part, the scammer will tell them their PayPal is dormant and they need a Moneygram.

Those are both HUGE red flags on top of going to email communication.

Always a different user name, so it's difficult to say if they are using the same one on another site.

Just protect yourself by sticking to the common way of doing internet transactions, and still it isn't a 100% guarantee.

I know that even banning on IP addy is far from perfect but I wish there was a way that banning an IP address and the devices MAC info were possible. Back when I was a moderator I asked the Boss about this and he said itr was not possible. Only thing stopping a banned individual from coming back under a different screen name is there honesty....and for a thief that is sort of an oxymoron....

C

im happy if this is all there is to the story

I got contacted by some shady character once after I posted a wanted add
I let the powers that be know I distrusted them and they had no problem identifying the thug

I was contacted by him. Knew it didn't seem right.

Here is my take...I prefer email communication, no limits imposed. I hope that I do get responses to my "want ads". Yes looking out for one another is awesome and the warm fuzzy feeling stuff, but banning this person?? For replying to an ad and wanting to use emails?? Gotta have more proof in my opinion.
Good thing I wasnt banned when I 1st joined...I was trying to sell **** out the arse...

Here is my take...I prefer email communication, no limits imposed. I hope that I do get responses to my "want ads". Yes looking out for one another is awesome and the warm fuzzy feeling stuff, but banning this person?? For replying to an ad and wanting to use emails?? Gotta have more proof in my opinion.
Good thing I wasnt banned when I 1st joined...I was trying to sell **** out the arse...

I have asked several people to take a correspondence to regular email. It seems a lot easier to me, especially if you send or exchange photos.

I have asked several people to take a correspondence to regular email. It seems a lot easier to me, especially if you send or exchange photos.

I do the same with my relay kits. Limited PM space to an unlimited series/media of communication without having to delete things. Some folks don't continue to thread a message in the PM's. This means if you want to keep info from prior messages, it has to remain, taking up space or copy and paste.

Any seller asking for a western union moneygram means one thing... RUN FOREST RUN!!!

Yes the email doesn't bother me. But this person just emailed me needing only a money order because his paypal is dormant.

This is when I run!!!

Yes the email doesn't bother me. But this person just emailed me needing only a money order because his paypal is dormant.

This is when I run!!!

Yes, Zero posts & only responding to "Wanted Ads" via PM.

Joey posted this in the "Wanted" forum. It's a sticky there too....Everyone should read it!!

Lately, we have seen several people come to FABO trying to scam our members.

Usually, they will respond to "Wanted to Buy" ads by private message, giving an email address to respond to. They usually have recently joined FABO and have few or no posts.

If you respond they wont want payment by PayPal, and will say their PayPal account or dormant or something like that. They will almost always ask for a money order for payment.

I cannot advice strong enough that you don't send a money order to someone you don't know well. Sending a money order is like sending cash, there is very little you can do in the event you are scammed. This is why the scammers ask for money orders. They are easy to cash and all but impossible to stop payment on or do anything with if you get scammed. Think of it like leaving $100 bill on a bar and going to the bathroom. There is a good chance it wont be there where you come back and nobody will be able to help you.

I cannot stress strongly enough that you should not use Money Orders unless you know the person your sending the money to fairly well. In my personal opinion, the safest way is to use PayPal for all online transactions unless you know the person your sending money to. Its not perfect, but its the safest in my opinion.

We do what we can to protect FABO members, but in instances like this we cannot do a lot without your help. If you get a PM from someone like described above, let a staff member know right away and we will look into the member.

Thank you for listening.

Joeychgo, Admin

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Scammers will usually ask you for the following info from the money order:
  • Sender's Name:
  • Reference #:
  • Amount Sent:
DO NOT GIVE IT TO THEM!

A scammer can take this info and pick up the money from anywhere in the world that sells those money orders. If they live at the address they gave you they don't need this info.

Would have made the place better... LMAO

J/K

As long as you have wiping tickets, all good! :)

LOL, its all good Rob. Lori says the same damned thing LOL.

My opinion....based on the OP initial issues with "seller"
- emails

Those were the only "symptoms" obviously Moneygram, WU all that other **** then ya Spidey sense starts tingling.
Dont get me wrong, but the OP is pretty brand spankin new here as well. No offense, jus sayin

I think we don't know the whole story
I been down this road and the moderators had ways of identifying the person in question as a repeat offender
it would be my geus they went down the same road with this person and once they figured out who he is they booted him

Has anyone heard of PayPal charging 6%???...After responding to my wanted ad, a member and I were negotiating a price...He rejected an offer because he said PayPal charged him 6%...I offered to send a Cashier's Check, but ended up cancelling the deal...

Has anyone heard of PayPal charging 6%???...After responding to my wanted ad, a member and I were negotiating a price...He rejected an offer because he said PayPal charged him 6%...I offered to send a Cashier's Check, but ended up cancelling the deal...

You get charged if you send a request best way is to send as a friend no fees although $0.30 + 1-3 % isnt a lot

You get charged if you send a request best way is to send as a friend no fees although $0.30 + 1-3 % isnt a lot

No don't send as a friend/gift. '

Send as a regular transaction and cover the 3% fee in case you need to contest later....

If you send as a friend/gift, you can't contest it through paypal and loose that protection....

Has anyone noticed that it's taking much longer for the transactions to go through Paypal than in the past???

I've had deals take a week or slightly more to complete. Where in the past, as soon as I clicked the funds were taken out of my account and sent to the seller immediately.

This makes it less appealing to me, as i can overnight a postal money order faster now and get the transaction closed faster.

I had a buyer wait until the funds completely transferred to send the parts, and it took over a week for it to go through... I'm not upset with the seller waiting for the transaction to complete through paypal, but disappointed in paypal for taking so long and am starting to think it's not worth using anymore....

You're supposed to make progress, not congress.....

Depends on how the person funds paypal.

Most of mine are instant, no delay.

Depends on how the person funds paypal.

Most of mine are instant, no delay.

It's linked to a checking account that I use for internet only. I have the funds in before I transfer the funds on Paypal. No reason for the delay....

-
Back