Possible to put a 1991 318 fuel injection on my 1973 318?

-

RDupont01

Reaction score
Is it possible to bolt right in? It comes with the computer for $100.

It will work, it's not that bad. You'll need an O2 sensor though. It's not a performance upgrade but it is a driveability upgrade. You'll also need the intake manifold, or fabricate an adapter.

I have just done that swap. I took the complete eng out of a 91 Dakota and it was a calif.emission one I think the fed one would be a little easyer because they don't have all of the smog crap on the engine I modife the harness and wire it in to the 65 Dart harness , have not had time to finish it yet. Maybe next month. Oh I also put the overdrive in it had to cut the floor for that but I have done 4 of these converisons before.

drivability???

It makes less power than a carter AFB......
Gets worse economy than a Vac Sec Holley........
Isn't as reliable as a quadrajet......
And has a idle motor that thinks it knows more than you, when it doesn't.

The ONLY advantage of the TBI is you can turn the key and walk, sometimes, providing everything is working good, and, uhm, the cam is stock, and, you don't kill it when hot, or run it for 30 seconds, shut it off, and start it again when cold.....

Not understanding why, maybe you have your reasons.

The '88-'91 Dodge truck/van TBI is halfaѕѕed hardware sloppily controlled by halfaѕѕed firmware. Driveability and fuel economy are notoriously poor. Strongly unrecommend.

If you want TBI you'd be far better off with a Rochester 22 (GM based) system off a late 80's to early 90's 305 equipped truck.

That is still notoriously horrible, prone to fuel pump/regulator issues.

The '88-'91 Dodge truck/van TBI is halfaѕѕed hardware sloppily controlled by halfaѕѕed firmware. Driveability and fuel economy are notoriously poor. Strongly unrecommend.

I swear it's made by Holley........

Gah. I had forgotten that incredibly annoying ridiculous external-mount idle speed control motor.

Yeah, the one when you let off the throttle fast it revs back up to like 1800RPM then slowly comes back down? Had one in my 91 Ramcharger mud truck, it used to piss me off so damn bad............

I am pretty uneducated when it comes to Fuel injection so I have to ask. I see 88-91 mentioned. My question is, when does the fuel injection get better? I have a 92 5.2 complete with harnesses, trans and all. I was thinking about dropping it into a 56 suburban for reliability/drivability. Sorry for the hi-jacking, not my intention.

I had an 89 Dakota with the TBI system that gave me 260,000 trouble free miles. Considering the number if vehicles on the road with this system I don't think it's as bad as it's being made out to be.

BTW, the 93+ port injection system is not easily adapted to an older motor. The magnum intake won't fit an LA motor so you will need to machine a LA intake to accept injectors.

I swear it's made by Holley

Yup. Holley-made throttle body, Holley or Bosch injectors, Holley fuel pressure regulator and low-bid in-tank pump by I don't know who.

Yeah, the one when you let off the throttle fast it revs back up to like 1800RPM then slowly comes back down?

Yup. Lots of fun when you're trying to do a 3-point turn or maneuver into a parking space...your choices in shifting between Drive and Reverse or Reverse and Drive are either wait til the idle motor decides to take its Ritalin and calm the hell down, or do an enforced neutral-drop. :roll:

I had an 89 Dakota with the TBI system that gave me 260,000 trouble free miles. Considering the number if vehicles on the road with this system I don't think it's as bad as it's being made out to be.

BTW, the 93+ port injection system is not easily adapted to an older motor. The magnum intake won't fit an LA motor so you will need to machine a LA intake to accept injectors.

They make manifolds to accept the injectors on a non magnum engine, or its as easy as drillingthem, I built a truck for a guy that had a Mopar single plane intake with stock based MPI. The MPI bosch injection is amazing, compared to Ford and Chev injection systems.

I wish you guys werent so far away, I have a complete 93 318 with all the MPI goodies I need to get the hell out of my yard.

-
Back