Potential frame rot?

-

zebra3

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been in search of a '67 Barracuda fastback for some time now, and a gentleman I've been messaging with elsewhere complied with my request and sent some pictures of the frame of a car he's selling. The picture I've attached below is one of them, and I'm wondering if I'm looking at abad weld/rot issue that is not worth tangling with. Anyone with more experience than me want to give their opinion?

325542664_1412639726189600_5044401168846594657_n.jpg

It does appear to be a weld, but the metal in the rail behind it seems solid. Looks like it’s in a spot where someone might have put a jack or stand, so it might have been an attempt to repair some lifting damage.

But it does look like the crack continues, so it may be accident damage. For these old cars it doesn’t look like any kind of terrible rot, so my concern would be accident damage. If it’s just what’s in the picture I wouldn’t be worried about it, but I’d have to see the rest of the frame rails, floors etc for any other signs of an accident.

These cars are over 50 years old, none of them are perfect. I wouldn’t freak out if that was the only abnormality, but I would make sure it’s not a symptom of a larger problem.

It does appear to be a weld, but the metal in the rail behind it seems solid. Looks like it’s in a spot where someone might have put a jack or stand, so it might have been an attempt to repair some lifting damage.

But it does look like the crack continues, so it may be accident damage. For these old cars it doesn’t look like any kind of terrible rot, so my concern would be accident damage. If it’s just what’s in the picture I wouldn’t be worried about it, but I’d have to see the rest of the frame rails, floors etc for any other signs of an accident.

These cars are over 50 years old, none of them are perfect. I wouldn’t freak out if that was the only abnormality, but I would make sure it’s not a symptom of a larger problem.
Thanks for the response. Needing to perform some minor rust repair doesn't scare me off, but the idea of frame damage and welding and structural integrity does. I appreciate the wealth of knowledge in this community and look forward to joining it proper. I have added a few more photos below but didn't want to flood the thread with more than that.

1.jpg

3.jpg

8.jpg

There are more likely places for frame rust. Specifically the rear spring shackle area. Look for trunk floor rust in that area.

Looking at it more it looks like POR 15 was applied to that section of frame rail ahead of the outrigger brace. There’s some scale on the frame near the holes at the edge of the picture, and then some places where the POR15 is peeling (which it’s known to do).

I dunno, the rails behind the repair look ok, as do the other pictures. Thing is that “frame repair” and structural integrity are pretty blurry on these cars. It’s all just sheet metal, and pretty much all of it contributes to structural integrity. Patching a frame rail isn’t all that much more structurally important than repairing a floor pan. Heck repairing a small section of frame rail is easier than replacing a floor pan.

Just indicates you’re going to have to look at everything more carefully.

This is the type of rust that is a no go for me.

If there is rust in the body seams there is rust deeper in the body.
Screenshot_20230426-231116.png

This is the type of rust that is a no go for me.

If there is rust in the body seams there is rust deeper in the body.
View attachment 1716082721
Even the spring purch looks spot welded and undercoated. As a fellow CT-ian (Nutmeg er) dependent where this car is coming from, expect rust at every seam. If you cannot do this work or do t want to- buy a car already done from a reputable dealer. It is very rare cars from within 400miles of your location are not in some form loaded with cancer or been repaired and only a person in the know can help guide you or maybe it’s you who knows. Good luck and keep us posted if you buy or pass. Welcome aboard.
Syleng1

-
Back