Power at coil when key is turned to auxiliary?

-

olddog12

Reaction score
I have a 383 with EI in my car and when I turn the key to the auxiliary position it has power, I know because there was a loud buzzing noise coming from the distributor and when I touched the coil wire I got a bad zap. I pulled the cap off and found one of the contacts has a pretty bad burn spot on it.
I have a couple questions lol...should there be power in auxiliary? Should I have got a shock from the wire or is there something wrong with the coil wire? What could be causing the burn/arching inside my distributor? Is changing the dist. cap & button going to solve any of this?

Thanks guys.

I have a 383 with EI in my car and when I turn the key to the auxiliary position it has power, I know because there was a loud buzzing noise coming from the distributor and when I touched the coil wire I got a bad zap. I pulled the cap off and found one of the contacts has a pretty bad burn spot on it.
I have a couple questions lol...should there be power in auxiliary? Should I have got a shock from the wire or is there something wrong with the coil wire? What could be causing the burn/arching inside my distributor? Is changing the dist. cap & button going to solve any of this?

Thanks guys.

Maybe we should start by finding out your opinion of what the Aux position is.
Do you mean with the key turned to the first click forward?
Or by turning the key backwards from off?

There should be no coil power in Aux, but does your car actually have Aux?
That is the question.

If the bad or burned contact was causing arching it could have been making the coil fire and that's why you got shocked.
Under those circumstances I would call that part normal.

What type ignition do you have?
I am assuming points since you said a contact was burned.

I mean turning the key forward to the first position as auxilary.
Not point no. One of the tabs inside the dist cap.

-
Back