Power brake issues Idle drops when I press brake.

-

Ron Grubb

Reaction score
It a 1965 barracuda with power brakes. Just replaced the master cylinder. The engine idle drops a lot when I press on the brake. This car has sat for 34 years. I suspect the power booster is leaking vacuum. Suggestion?

It a 1965 barracuda with power brakes. Just replaced the master cylinder. The engine idle drops a lot when I press on the brake. This car has sat for 34 years. I suspect the power booster is leaking vacuum. Suggestion?

Disconnect and plug the vacuum line going to the booster. Doing so should drop the idle to where it is when you press the brake. If so, then you have a vac leak in the booster or at the grommet holding the check valve into the booster body.

Keep in mind that it may not be the booster that is leaking- there is an additional vacuum tank on the early As that can also develop leaks, as well as all the tubing and hoses connecting the system together. 60 year old rubber hoses do not hold vacuum very well, especially when unused for the past 34...

Disconnect and plug the vacuum line going to the booster. Doing so should drop the idle to where it is when you press the brake. If so, then you have a vac leak in the booster or at the grommet holding the check valve into the booster body.
Replaced all hoses with new ones. Suggestions on how to check vacuum tank for leaks.

Replaced all hoses with new ones. Suggestions on how to check vacuum tank for leaks.

I'd get a mighty-vac hand pump to test, or elminate each accessory one at a time to isolate the leaking component.
If the booster is leaking, it can be in a number of places including internally and may be difficult to trace if you're unfamiliar with how they work.
I'm not familiar with the vacuum tank @Professor Fate references on the early A's and so cannot comment on how to check it, but I'm sure it would be like most vacuum reservoirs: plug one fitting and apply vacuum to the other and see if it holds or leaks down when the vacuum source is removed.

-
Back