Power Disc Brakes Proportioning Valve

-

1970Dart198

Reaction score
My 1970 dodge dart swingers proportioning valve started leaking and my brake pedal almost went to the floor! I took it to an auto repair shop and they say the proportioning valve I have on their now is incorrect. They are ordering a proportioning valve and new brake lines and say the cost will be $800! They want to redo the brake lines and put in a new proportioning valve.

Can anyone give me a link for the proper proportioning valve for a power front disc and rear drum 1970 dodge dart swinger? Classic Industries part:

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/a-body-dart-1963-76/parts/md2268.html

Is this correct? I would like to keep my brake lines.

Thank you!

My 1970 dodge dart swingers proportioning valve started leaking and my brake pedal almost went to the floor! I took it to an auto repair shop and they say the proportioning valve I have on their now is incorrect. They are ordering a proportioning valve and new brake lines and say the cost will be $800! They want to redo the brake lines and put in a new proportioning valve.

Can anyone give me a link for the proper proportioning valve for a power front disc and rear drum 1970 dodge dart swinger? Classic Industries part:

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/a-body-dart-1963-76/parts/md2268.html

Is this correct? I would like to keep my brake lines.

Thank you!

I don't think it matters if the car is power vs manual. All the prop valve does is limit the fluid to the rear drums to prevent lockup.

Power comes from the booster. So to answer your question, that one looks correct to me.

The guy who put in the power brakes used my brake lines from when it originally had drums all around. I believe he used the same proportioning valve as well, it might be a little different. But will this proportioning valve I have posted work with the old drum brake lines?

Thank you for your response!

The guy who put in the power brakes used my brake lines from when it originally had drums all around. I believe he used the same proportioning valve as well, it might be a little different. But will this proportioning valve I have posted work with the old drum brake lines?

Thank you for your response!

I converted to front discs also, not mopar, but I kept my drum brake lines. I haven't swapped the P valve yet, but I am sure they are the same thread sizes, they just operate differently. I would just give them a quick call, but I feel very confident that this is what you need.

I had the same thing happen where the mechanic claimed I had the wrong master cylinder with the wrong proportioning valve too... funny that it worked for 47 years and was original to the car. They said it was for "disc brakes" I told them to replace it with the one that was on there and the cost was $30. I'm still dealing with this mechanic, as they ****ed up a lot of my braking system, don't even get me started.

i had some issues during my disc conversion with keeping track of thread sizes. i ended up with a misfit at the rear brake outlet of the P valve that i solved with an adapter.

This guy wanted $800! Im just buying the proportioning valve for about $85 and having him install it. Man, I wish I had a lift and the tools to do it myself! The brake lines are fine, I just need him to bleed the brakes. It would be funny to see me bleeding the brakes in the parking lot of a military college!

Try the ram man. He's a Mopar brake expert and can teach you what you need to know to fix your system. He restores old Mopar brake parts to be like new and resells them. he may have what you need and be able to give you some good advice.

7200 Winters St
Fort Worth, TX 76120
Telephone: 817.691.5996

http://www.theramman.com/

-
Back