Power disc to manual disc.

-

Kevin Jonker

Reaction score
1968 Form. S. fish with power frt disc brakes. I want to take the pwr booster off and just go manual disc. The Paddock shows the same part # for pwr disc master cyl. as for the non pwr disc master cyl. Year one 's part # is slightly different. Anybody done this? I would think this means that possibly I could just pull off the booster and install manual disc pedal to master cyl. rod and same master cyl. and be done? Thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. Kevin

There is a difference in master cylinders from what I understand. Atleast its that way from the factory. I know atleast B and E body manual brake cars got a plate on the firewall to renforce the metal there for in increased load onto it due from the manual brakes that power cars did not have. And you will need an adjustable or factory manual brake pushrod.

I'm currently doing this to my 72fish with a late model alum master and 11 3/4" discs...

I'm currently doing this to my 72fish with a late model alum master and 11 3/4" discs...[/QUOTE]

I'm switching to the aluminum master cylinder too. Do you know where I can get the little rubber pushrod retainer that fits into the rear of the master cylinder?

It depends on the vehicle, some master cylinders are the same with manual and power brakes and some use a different master cylinder.

Goody's right though about the different pushrod for manual brakes.

Chuck

[QUOTE='64 Cuda]I'm currently doing this to my 72fish with a late model alum master and 11 3/4" discs...[/QUOTE]

I'm switching to the aluminum master cylinder too. Do you know where I can get the little rubber pushrod retainer that fits into the rear of the master cylinder?[/QUOTE]

magnumhp.com repops the retainers. $3/ea. With my luck, I'm buying two! lol

take a piece of 1/4" fuel hose, cut the v in on the grinder wheel, and voila! cheaper and easier and it works well. raybestos packages them as #68-e68. i am trying to get my local guy to get me a bunch. use a 15/16" bore from a 73-76 duster and you will get more pressure applied for manual discs.

how small of a piece of 1/4" fuel line? 1/4"? 1/2"? Have any pictures? If you need to pull it out for some reason, can you get that line back out and set it back up? Just trying to picture how that would work, and it retains itself by the 'v' catching the lip in the master and, probably could only come out (accidentally) if the pushrod was dead straight in the bore and pulled straight out i assume?

i'll be running a 1.125" bore late model alum master cyl :toothy7:

-
Back