power stear box, 1972 swinger

-

mikess68

Reaction score
questiion. when the motor is off there is what i would call too much "play" in the stearing. when the motor is runing there is no play in it. seems normal. is that a mopar thing or am i looking at a box down the road or is it safe. just wondering whats up. the joint seems ok, the play is not there. can the nut be tightened a little on the worm gear to get less play. just looking for experence education. tks Mike

yes, the nut with the allen screw in the middle can be loosened, and the screw turned in a small bit at a time until you are happy with the play in the steering. Do not tighten too far, as this will create drivability problems and will wear the parts faster.

........To properly set up a box u need to adj the input first then the sector shaft .....btw most mopars have the play when not running, remember 40 years ago things were not like they are now.........kim........

If everything is working fine while driving the car, don't mess with it. You will have a little extra play with the engine off since the initial turning of the input shaft only activates the hydraulic valving in the steering box. Adjusting the box preload incorrectly is a good way to get a broken thumb since the box has a tendency to go to full lock on its own if this adjustment is off by even a little bit. I adjusted one once. When I fired the car up the steering wheel went to full right lock on its own and almost ripped my thumb off. I leave that job to the highly paid professionals now.

most of the time, the centering valve is the cause of the full lock problem. simply adjusting the play in the sector shaft shouldn't affect the power assist on the worm gear shaft.

-
Back