Power steering adjustment to box?

-

Michael J.

Reaction score
I have a 73 Valiant with 225 and power steering. The car has all new parts in it and has just been aligned and drives fine. The only problem is the wheel wants turn right on its own. The guy who did the work said that there are 2 springs in the box that control the pressure to one direction or the other when the wheel is tuned. Can these be changed? and where would I get them at? Any help would be great.

On the top of the ps box there is a plate that has oil lines going into it. That plate is your adjustment. With car safely supported with front wheels off of the ground start the engine. If the wheel turns one way or the other on its own you need to adjust. The procedure is easy, loosen the plate on the top of the box and tap the plate side to side. You tap the plate slightly with the engine running and it will change which direction the centering of the power assist. I might not be explaining this very well, but it is in the service manuals which are available for download off of this site. The ps box was used for nearly 30 years and the procedures was the same for them all.

That thing where hoses attach to steering gear is called Valve Body; it is fastened by two bolts to the steering gear, and where fluid passes into gear there are two small “O” rings under it. Centering of this housing or valve body corrects for self-steering.

To adjust centering of steering wheel is simple.
Start engine.
Center valve body until self-steering stops:
Back off both bolts just enough to allow movement along axis of steering column on steering gear housing. Gently tap on head of valve body to move valve body up on steering gear, and tap on end plug to move valve body down on housing until wheel stops self-turning. Taping up makes wheel turn one way, down the other, and you may have to restart engine several times to be sure centering is successful. Tighten down bolts. Expel all air from the unit by turning steering wheel full left to full right several times.

If you develop a leak from performing this adjustment, Rock Auto has a seal kit for the valve body.

-
Back