Power Steering Chaos?

-

shortcake

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is Tim, and I'm trying to restore a '65 Barracuda for my wife aka "Shortcake" here. The power steering gear box that was in the car when we got it was shot, it would steer easily, but had too much play in it to adjust out. So I order a rebuilt one from Rockauto...Atsco part number 6546.
After I got it installed it would steer OK...if you turned it slowly, but if you turnt the steering wheel quickly at all, there was lots of resistance?
So I called Rockauto, they said to sent it back and they'd refund my money, which I did.
But now I still, need to buy another power steering gear box, and I'm wondering if anyone here could suggest which one they'd feel best about buying?
I also wonder if I'm missing something about the one I returned? Was there something I could have done, or should have done instead of returning it?
I'm hoping that the next one that I try, there will be no issues whatsoever?
I'm getting pretty proficient at changing a power steering gearbox, but I sure hope I won't be doing it again after this next time? LOL! Thanks for any help!

Core charge??? Firm Feel boxes seem to have good reviews. I don't have one yet, but that's the way I'm gonna go..

Core charge??? Firm Feel boxes seem to have good reviews. I don't have one yet, but that's the way I'm gonna go..

I'll second that. I've had them do a power steering box and at least 2 manual boxes for me. First rate parts and work. Steering is Done!

Another vote for Firm Feel. I bought a rebuilt steering box for my Belvedere from napa. Scary loose, I tried to adjust the slop out of it to no avail. Out within 5 miles, and it became my core for a stage 3 FF box. Second car I have with one, and Dick Ross is a great guy to deal with. I think their core charge is still $100, and shipping might be prohibitive for you, but for a stock system it's the way to go in my opinion.

-
Back