Power Steering for my 63 dart

-

trapster

Reaction score
Power steering

I would like to change my manual steering on my 63 dart 270 convertible to power.

What do I need to do?
What vehicles will have the parts I need?

Thanks
David

Power steering

I would like to change my manual steering on my 63 dart 270 convertible to power.

What do I need to do?
What vehicles will have the parts I need?

Thanks
David

There are lots of people who would trade you everything you need to do the swap. Most people are trying to convert from power to manual steering because the power steering is really sloppy, and gives clearance problems to those trying to use headers.

In addition to the gear box and pump, I am almost certain the steering column is different. Not so much the column itself, but the shaft inside is a different length. Hopefully you can get lucky enough to find someone who has the whole setup u need. The brackets for the pump I think are different from v8 and slant 6. I would look 4 a 63-66 dart,valiant ,barracuda . Dont forget the pulley to drive the pump. happy wrenching.

if you contact valley auto wreckers in turlock he has a really nice one for manuel steering the column is complete there number is 209-632-7500.

If the car is a floor shift, the column should be the same. All you will need is the shaft from a power steering car, and the coupling that sits on the steering box. The coupling and shaft have narrower splines than the manual one. Simply switch the steering shaft. I have several '66 power steering shafts from swaps I've made to manual FROM power. Not sure if '66 is the same as '63. Then get the box, pump, brackets, and pulleys. Pretty straight forward.
I have a pump from a '66 273 as well. If you can use it you can have it.

A little more information is needed

I have a stock 1963 270 dart convertible with a stock 225 slant 6 and a push button auto trans.

I am not interested in changing anything about it but adding power steering and I would like to make it look as stock as I can.

I am however looking for a 65 or earlier dart to put a 340 in. in the Orlando area.

thanks again
David

ag_3.jpg

ee_3.jpg

OK. I'll try to explain here... You cannot just add a power steering box, pump, brackets, and pulley to your car. The reason why is that the power steering box is longer than the manual one. Therefore, the shaft in a power steering column is SHORTER than a manual one. Also the coupler that mounts on the power steering box which accepts the steering shaft has a narrower splined hole where it mounts on the box. So not only do you need the box itself, the pump, ect. you will need a power steering column. Fortunately it is easy to work on the early columns, and you can just pull out the manual shaft and replace it with a power steering shaft/coupler. Soooo you will need to add those items to your list. P.S. box, pump/reservior, pulley, brackets, belt, hoses, P.S. shaft, and P.S. coupler.
I don't know much about slant motors, or '63 cars, so I don't know if the '64-'66 stuff interchanges. It probably does. As I said I have a P.S. shaft/coupler, pump and reservior/pulley from a 273 '66. If it works for your application we can make a deal if you'd like. All you'd need is a boneyard box. You'll need to get a bracket, hoses, and a belt but those you will want new anyway. Year one will have them.
I think that made sense. If not someone will be able to chime in.

I just went through changing my 66 Dart from manual to power. I got all of the parts from Wildcat Mopars at www.wildcatmopars.com. Phone 503-668-7786. They had everything I needed including the shorter power steering shaft. I had them send everything on to Firm Feel Inc. www.firmfeel.com Phone 800-347-6426. They completely rebuilt the steering box and the pump while tightening up the steering to feel more like a new car. I'm more than satisfied.This was all done while the motor was out, so the job was easy. The front end was also updated with new poly. bushings, ball joints and torsion bars. I did this about a year ago and I have no complaints yet. Good Luck,
Raptor426

There is a power steering setup available on ebag for $220 total including shipping.

Seems like a lot but it includes everything but the fan belt.

Does this sound reasonable ?

Thanks for your help.

David

The setup on ebay looks like a good deal. I would ask if the pulley is included and if the car is 63-66 as the column is different in 67+.

-
Back