power steering gear fitting question

-

Fabbr

Reaction score
I picked up a rebuilt power steering gear box and when i was installing it i noticed the high pressure side had no provision for the hose to attatch to. Its female at the box and appears to be an inverted flare type of connection. My power steering hose on that end is also female. I picked up a double male inverted flare fitting and ran it into the box tight, and attatched my hose, all seems good, does this sound like it will work? or is the only way to know going to be filling it with fluid and trying it. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

(trying not to sound dirty here) If they are both the proper style of males they should mate up with no problem. Make sure everything is tight and give it a try. If you are worried wrap it with a rag so that if it does leak it won't spread far fast. As long of the engine is cold it should just make a mess (but not smoke or fire) if it does leak.

Sounds like you did the right thing. I transfered my 90 degree brass fitting from my original steering gear to the rebuilt. No leaks.

-
Back