power steering gearbox removal

-

73dart4dr

Reaction score
im trying to put a new power steering gearbox in my 73 dart with a 318 and stock manifolds, i have disconneced the pitman arms, steering colum shaft, and all the bolts i can not figure how to get the gearbox out now, i cant get it to fit out through the top or bottom, do i have to take the exhaust manifold off to be able to get it out? i just want to find out if any of you have done it before i take unneccesary parts off

greg

This is a heavy bulky unit. it's held to the KFrame by 3 bolts.
I took mine out after I pulled my motor. the problem is going to be that it'll be hard from below because of the Y pipe and torsion bar and starter along with the tranny linkage if column shift car, so I'd imaging you'd have to pull it from the hood. if memory serves me, you'll be blocked in getting it up and out by the PS pump and exhaust manifold. you might want to consider pulling those first to just give yourself some room to play. You might have a rust bond between the k frame and pump. take a pry bar and jiggle it slightly to see if you can break the seal after you've made sure you have the3 bolts removed.

hope that helps.

Stu

ive akready pulled the 3 bolts, trying to drop ot from below it does hit the starter, exhaust pipes, and some other stuff to, going from the top the echaust manifold is in the way, so i think thati have to take that off first,but i just wanted to make sure before i did that
greg

Good topic,i'm getting ready to switch my power steering box,pump,hoses and belt to the flaming river manual set-up,going to be interesting to see how much weight i lose in the switch the flaming river box weights only 18lbs..... :thumbup:

Exactly what stupidasso said, I removed mine a few weeks ago. I already had the exhaust manifold off so it just took a little bit of cleaing the grease off and a jerk and it was out, leaking fluid on my new pants lol. Oh well though, it came out and thats what matters!

my dad talked to an "older" mechanic at his work and he told me that all i have to do is take the bolt out of the drivers side engine mount and jack up the engine and it should give me plenty of room. so when i decided to go out and see if he was right tonight, i had the gearbox out within 25 minutes, after i wasted 2 or 3 hours last night trying to figure it our myslef, with taking out the engine mount bolt, i was able to jack the engine up 3 or 4 inches and would have never had to start taking the manifold off. well i hope this helps someone else out in the future.

i just did the gearbox lastnight, and you do not have to pull the starter or exhaust pipes. if you losen the motor mount it gives you about 4 or 5 inches that you can jack up the engine and then you puil the gearbo out the top

-
Back