power steering hose question

-

spudsterier

Reaction score
does anyone know where i can get a power steering hose that will work for my application?
68 valiant.....360.....saginaw style pump....

(in the pic one end needs to go where the red cap is on the gear box, other end goes into the bottom of the pump resivoir)

the motor came out of a 1974 dodge ambulance van and the power steering hose that was with it has the wrong curves and bends to fit on my car.

008-4.jpg

you might get lucky at a place that makes hydraulic hoses.Take all your trash along to match the fittings.I made one from a hose that had one wrong end.

I have a couple of NOS hoses. Does your pump use a flair type or O-ring fitting. And same question on the box end.

believe it or not i just bent mine so it came to the other side.hope this makes sense to you. it worked.

it looks like the autozone #70347 will work, looked it up as a V8 1974 Valiant with a saginaw pump.

I'd NEVER use the Autozone hose - I had fits with the one I got there - wrong type/angle flare at the pump end - leaked like crazy at the pump end of the hose. I bought one from NAPA, and that one worked perfectly - no leaks whatsoever.

I bought a remanufactured saginaw pump from Autozone, and also bought the replacement hose at the same time, so perhaps they sold me the wrong hose ??? - unless the flare is entirely different on the pump end between saginaw and federal pumps (anybody verify this???) the hose I bought with the reman pump at Autozone leaked like CRAZY on the pump end. The NAPA hose that I subsequently bought worked perfectly. The flare end on the pump side was VERY DIFFERNT between the Autozone hose and the NAPA hose.

I swapped a 360 into my 68 Barracuda and swapped in power steering using pulleys, brackets and the steering box from a 73 Dart. The hose that fit and worked was one listed for a 75 Duster.

Sounds like you have about the parts mix as I do. My '72 Duster had manual steering, but with a 4spd that was too hard to manage in tight situations (If it was an automatic I'd probably just have gone to fast ratio manual ala Firm Feel.

What I did was go to a - then existing, about 10 years ago - junk yard and got the Saginaw PSP and all the brackets from an early 80s Dip/Fury V8. But that left me with the hose problem you have. I went to the Parts store and got the closest match I could find (don't remember what it was) and rebent it (carefully, very carefully bending and heating, bending and heating until I got it where I wanted and using a tube bender to make sure no kinks developed). I would not recommend doing this though.

I saw a car that had the same setup as mine at a local show a couple years ago. I took good pictures of the installation and the hose especially and tried for a replacement. The only place that was able to help was

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEPowerSteering.asp

... They got me the exact fit hose. Just one problem though. The Saginaw pump that "this" new hose was designed to mate to had a different fitting than the pump end of the hose. Apparently, although the pump is virtually identical to the original pump that the hose was designed for, the fitting in the later years changed on the pressure side of the pump.

So I have this 'perfect fit' hose that is still in the box. I keep meaning to get back in touch with bouchillon, but I just don't get around to it, and my back is injured which prevents me from leaning over to do the job now anyway. Probably just either needs an adapter on the either the hose or the pump, or at worst I will get the correct fit pump.

But if I were you, I'd give those folks a call. Armed now with all this info you will likely get it right. Check out the link above.

If the parts store has the Edelmann catalog, it has pictures in the back of hose ends with lengths as well as what part numbers come with those hose ends.

-
Back