Power Steering Issue. Opinions wanted

-

emnestor

emnestor
Reaction score
I noticed, while driving yesterday, that my steering seemed to develop a dead spot in it. Meaning I have to rotate the wheel a good 8 inches or so in the opposite direction before the steering becomes positive again. Almost like something is loose and the wheel is not turning the linkage until it catches. This is on a 72 Dart that has been completely restored. I have only been able to quickly scan it when I got home due to it being late and dark. Any suggestions to expedite my trouble shooting? Thanks folks

.............something could very well be loose, or the adapter to the steering box could of been put together wrong..........kim.........

Don’t drive it until you inspect each part of steering system, in particular the bolts holding the steering gear to K member. Also look for broken shaft in steering gear.

After inspection I noticed the power steering unit trying to rotate when the wheel is cranked to the left. The bolts were really loose and boy is it hard to get some leverage on them. Its a tight fit up in there. Should there be some lock washers on those bolts?

-
Back