Power steering leak

-

Carofthemonth

Reaction score
I dropped my steering column today on my 74 Duster to put in some new instrument panel light bulbs. Didnt drop more than a few inches. Now I have a huge power steering fluid leak. Anybody have a similar issue?

Pinion shaft seal is the one that leaks often, but just dropping the column shouldn't affect it. Maybe just a coincidence.

The input shaft seal (where the column connects to) could also be the culprit. Or, it could be either the pressure hose or return hose cracked and developed a leak.

I would add fluid, and get someone to start the car while you watch to see where its coming from.

You can order seal kits and replace many in the car. I've done pinion shaft seal, input shaft seals, and orings on the valve all in the car.

By the way, Welcome to FABO!!

McConnell AFB was my first assignment in the Air Force. Pretty darn flat out there. I enjoyed the time I spent there.

Looks like a nice Duster from your avatar picture!! Post up more pictures when you get a chance.

By the way, Welcome to FABO!!

McConnell AFB was my first assignment in the Air Force. Pretty darn flat out there. I enjoyed the time I spent there.

Looks like a nice Duster from your avatar picture!! Post up more pictures when you get a chance.
Thanks for the info, I'll check it all out in more detail tomorrow. Here are a couple pictures.
I post tomorrow what I find.

20201225_194853.jpg

20201223_170201.jpg

Yeah, I've had the silver Barracuda 8 years and still getting things done. I like to do small things one at a time so its not off the road too long. The Magnum swap was 6 months off the road, but only because I had transmission issues.

There's another thread about how to replace that seal. I believe you have to disconnect it there and knock that pin out. Plus, drop the column down some to pull it back.

I think I at least bought a little time. Lucas power steering stop leak really slowed it down.
I'll look for some videos for help also.
Thanks

Don't get in too much of a hurry changing the seal. You dropped the column and oval'd the seal. My Super Bird sat for 10 years and shortly after starting to get it ready for the 50th Anniversary of the Aero Car the power steering totally emptied onto the floor. I threw in some new fluid with leak stop in it and after some driving, trip to Dega and about 1500 miles of driving her this Summer it hasn't leaked a drop out that input seal since.

I figured I did something when I lowered the column. I just went for a 30 hour drive and it's hardly leaked anything since I've been home. Fingers crossed.

I have a NOS MoPar seal if you need one....I didn’t check the application to see but I think it is the one.

7C8DF834-4148-4291-BEA1-947775903F71.jpeg

A02037E6-F914-45C8-8040-F958B468A1BE.jpeg

0A6EEF35-107C-4753-A355-C78949571776.jpeg

04364C62-704E-4C89-A7BC-F21EBB83016A.jpeg

EC13CC06-C1E5-4D83-86FE-30A21466C4A5.jpeg

Last edited:
dadsbee- What stop leak did you use?
What ever old bottle of PS fluid with seal conditioner I had in the shop. I can look tomorrow, it's probably still in my "go crate" that I had in the trunk of the Bird for 'Dega.

I'm glad you were able to stop it. Hopefully it will be good to go.

When I replaced my input shaft seal, I pulled the column completely and went in through the cabin with a drill. Drilled a small hole in the seal, then used a screw in the hole to remove the seal. Then went through the firewall to set the new seal. Pain in the butt, but it worked.

I hope the stop leak works. I would rather not have to replace the seal. Having to go through the firewall seems almost impossible for a mechanically challenged individual like myself.

I had to replace that same seal on a B body once. The hardest part is pulling the column out. I drove a very small flat screwdriver between the outer edge of the seal, and the seat, and pryed it right out. Taped up the splines on the input shaft to keep from boogering up the new seal, cleaned the shaft, and tapped the new seal in place with a similar sized deep well socket. Then....worked my *** of getting the column back in and lined up by myself....lol. Good luck to you!

Put manual steering on it. Done and over. No more leaks. I don't why P/S was even offered on A bodies. They're so light they don't need it and it clutters up an already cramped engine bay.

Nice car, btw!

-
Back