Power Steering Lower seal replacement?

-

Swinger340Canuc

72 Swinger 340 Special
Reaction score
I have a bit of a leaky lower seal on my power steering box and was wanting to change it out but how to remove the old one? I was told by one fellow that did his that he removed the Pitman arm and the snap ring then started the car up and turned the steering wheel and the pressure inside the box blew the seal and retainer out. Has anyone done this job and know if this works or have any other tips?

IMG_7657.jpg

From what I've seen over the years that's the general consensus on how to get it done... turn the wheel to the stop and blow it out.

I have always used a small flat screwdriver and tapped on outer edge of seal and into the metal of the seal then just pry it out. I've heard others use a few screws into the metal of the seat then use pliers to pry it out.

Input seal is easy to do, in the car, with a couple of drywall screws... not so sure on output. Thankfully I've never had to do an output.

It's one of the jobs you get to do laying down, I always save large pieces of cardboard to lay on, so you don't have to feel all the pebbles or cold concrete on you back. Bonus points keeps the oil off the My driveway. (Sorry MOM, I learned from my younger mistakes)

-
Back