Power Steering mounting

-

Torrance1

Reaction score
Hi all

I know this subject has been covered, and I did see one posting while I did a search
on here yesterday, but something was wrong with his setup and engine.
the posting was from way back in 2010. and a reply to his request included
pictures like 4 of them, but I notice the head in the picture is not like mine
So I am bringing this subject up again.
I have a 74 Dodge Dart Swinger, with a 318 and auto... just to be clear
I know that Dodge used at least 2 and maybe 3 different pumps from reading and looking
at mounting brackets.
I'm attaching some pictures I took this morning, it on it shows a triangle plate
which is sitting on the filler cap for visual purpose only.
Can anyone supply photos of there install, with attention to the back side and bracket
location.
I have searched the net, tried Autozone repair, even emailed a couple of guys selling
74 Darts with 318 to see If I could go by and take some pictures... no reply from them...
and hell one guy lives right around the corner from me..
Anyway Pictures would be great, again more detail the better or a web site
that I could go to...
IMG_3660.JPG
IMG_3659.JPG
IMG_3660.JPG

That triangular bracket that you have on top goes on the bottom two bolts for the timing chain cover...

Let's start with some pictures of one on the engine:

DSC09880 B.jpg

DSC09881 B.jpg

DSC09882 B.jpg

DSC09883 B.jpg

Last edited:
2 bolt holes attach to the water pump behind the larger bracket and the one remaining hole goes behind the power steering bracket while the bolt goes through the front bracket, to the "triangle" hole through the spacer.......

Wow Thanks Howard, maybe I can get this
back together...
Best
Happy 4th

BTW
One of those long bolts can be driven right into the side of the cylinder,possibly cracking it, and allowing water into the oilpan. So hopefully you didn't do that with the missing bracket not in there. Or maybe it was the topmost short one on the driver's side; but same story: BE CAREFUL. Each of those bolts has a specific location, and they often get swapped around by newbe's.

Also
in your first pic, where you show the bracket bolted to the head,(which you now know is wrong, and I had no idea that could even be done), That location is actually where the battery ground cable is bolted to. You will need to sand the paint off the head to bare metal, or you will have cranking issues.

Last edited:
-
Back