Power Steering pulley is offset on my 68 Barracuda 340.

-

My68FormulaS

Reaction score
I have a 68 Formula S with 340 auto/AC. The power steering pump is a TRW pump, I believe. Since I have owned the car the pump pulley is at an angle to the crank pulley. Is it possible that the pulley on the ps pump is not seated properly, or could it be the wrong pump/pulley combination? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20150808_105612.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 273
  • 20150808_105626.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 267
I've got a couple of 60s Plymouths, and in both cases the pulleys don't align very well. While v-belts aren't necessarily meant to take up this mis-alignment, they often do.

When I was having a pump rebuilt, I called the rebuilders and ask if them if they mount the pulley in a slightly different position on the shaft. They would NOT do it. They said they would only rebuild it to factory specs.

Others on this site have asked the same question. Bottom line: I think your alignment is about average.

I've a 1972 318 with a federal pump, same issue. With a fresh belt and good tension, it doesn't seem to be an issue. I still don't like it.

It is way off. It scuffs up against the AC compressor belt.

Does anyone else have a 340 with AC and PS that can show me what their belts look like?

I looked up my old answer to a guy on similar post some time ago -- and it was you. Now as I look at your picture the PS pump pulley is too far forward. It needs to be pressed back towards the pump, IMO. Please review that old post where I have a dimension shown. My pump had just been rebuilt so it was done to factory specs.

Notice in your picture that you can see the shaft between the front edge of the pump and the pulley. In my picture, you can't see the shaft at all.

Thank you g413. It took a while before I had the car back, so I could take the picture of the PS pump. I do see your dimensions and that does help a lot. Where did you get your rebuilt pump?

I took my pump to AutoZone and they sent it to Atsco. The incredible part is that it took only 8 days to get it back.

I looked at an instruction sheet sent back with pump, and it does mention that you really can NOT press the pulley back on by yourself because the other end of the shaft needs to be supported, but the resevoir is in the way.

Have the pump rebuilt to factory specs, but be sure to measure the pulley distance (from the pump) before you send it in.

For belt alignment purposes, are you sure you have the correct crankshaft pulley to your set up? :dontknow:

For belt alignment purposes, are you sure you have the correct crankshaft pulley to your set up? :dontknow:

think I would elongate the appropriate holes and line it up better, and forget it. if it doesn`t come off at high rpm`s.

The alternator and AC belts line up just fine. Only the power steering belt is out of alignment. I don't think it is the crank pulley. The pictures of the other PS pumps looks like the gap between the pump and the pulley.

You can remove the metal reservoir and press the pulley on further if its not on all the way

-
Back