Power steering pump advice

-

bigtooth

Reaction score
I'm looking for some help before I buy some more parts I can't use :banghead:

What I've got is a 360 magnum engine in a '72 duster, origianly a 318 car. When I bought the car it had a federal pump on it, but the pulley on the pump was a keyed pulley that had been tack welded on the shaft of the pump, The pump now has a ton of slop on it and i'd like to replace it with the correct setup.
I bought a federal pump from a member on here and it turns out its from a slant six car and the pulley sticks out to far to line up with my 2 groove crank pulley.

So here are the options i'm thinking:

1) try to find a new v8 federal pulley - this is proving to be hard unless I want to buy a 75 dollar chrome one from summit
Is there a difference between federal pumps /6 vs v8 or just the pulley?

2) swap to a saginaw style pump - there is a member here with what looks to be a complete assembly (pump, pulley, hose and brackets) for $50 from a 360, but i've read i'll have trouble with the high pressure line hitting the engine mount.

I see they also make a press on pulley for a saginaw, will this press on to a federal and will a TRW pulley interchange also?

thanks guys!

Go with the Saginaw pump and the reason i say this is you can very easily get pumps with different pressure and flow rates.This will in time allow you to use other Saginaw pumps which will allow you to adjust your steering feel you know the effort it takes to turn the wheel.

I'm kind of leaning this way, but it would be so much easier if I could find the right pulley, and not worry about the pressure line hooking up. Will the pressure line from the saginaw screw into my steering gear or my line into the saginaw? are the fittings compatible?

-
Back