Power Steering Pump Picture

-

dgc333

Reaction score
I started my manual to power steering swap on the Barracuda and I took the brackets out to attach to the new pump and I am not sure how they mount to the pump and engine.

Anyone have a picture of there sb engine with power steering they can post that shows how the brackets mount to the pump and engine. A 73 Dart with a 318 was the doner for the brackets.

Thanks!

Hope these help. This is a Saginaw pump........... I am pretty sure it is different than the Federal pump. Look close at PSPump2 and PSPump3 pictures. There is a "triangle" shaped bracket that bolts to the front of the water pump behind the large bracket with the adjustment slot. I was missing this one when I was putting mine together and it threw me for a loop!

PSPump1.jpg

PSPump2.jpg

PSPump3.jpg

Yep I Have 2 or thee of them!!

It Look's like a big guset with three hole's in it,Trianglar shape
A got to have part.

basically same set up on the federal pump i got ..just mounts to pump a little differant but to the block the same ..

19duster74 said:
Hope these help. This is a Saginaw pump........... I am pretty sure it is different than the Federal pump. Look close at PSPump2 and PSPump3 pictures. There is a "triangle" shaped bracket that bolts to the front of the water pump behind the large bracket with the adjustment slot. I was missing this one when I was putting mine together and it threw me for a loop!

Thanks! :)

The pictures are just what I need. I have all the brackets. Thanks again!

I have a 65 valiant that I am changing from manual to power steering. does any one have photos of this swap in place? Does it make any difference that the pump I am using is from an A/C car? ( I will add A/C later, not time or money right now)

Also, how do i know what column or shaft to use (what length) I think I have one of each, manual and power steering, but not sure. What is the correct length?

As far as the pump, brackets and pulleys if you use everything from the same car you are sure to have parts that are compatible and you need to use parts for the same engine family. As I mentioned I had a 73 318 Dart doner car that I got all the parts from so everything fit with no muss or fuss. The only thing that was a mis match was the high pressure hose from the pump to the steering box. Because I had headers the 73 specific hose looked awfully close so I just looked at the pictures of the different hoses for different years and I think it was a 75 V8 Duster that looked to be the best fit and it worked out perfectly.

I used the pump and steering box as cores for rebuilt items. Also because the doner was a 73 there were other things that I had to change. I needed a 73+ pitman arm, 73+ idler arm and the 73+ center link because of the change in the way the pitman and idler mount to the center link and the 73+ box having a larger sector than the older boxes.

If you don't have a steering box yet or the one you have is tired you may want to consider having it rebuilt by Firm Feel or Steer and Gear. They can change the internal valving to make the steering firmer with more feedback (more like a late model car). I addressed that by having the alignment shop crank in as much positive caster as they could (The offset bushings for the upper control arms would be a good choice if you are planning to to rebuild the front end).

Anyway, Three years now since the swap and I have not regretted it once. It has made the single biggest improvement in the driving experience of the car that I have made. Completely transformed the car from a sluggish handler because of the 24:1 manual steering to a quick and nimble handler on the road not to mention eliminating the steering wheel thrash in parking lots.

It just amazes me why so many folks go the other way.

Is the water pump pulley different? I am doing this right now

They can be different too, that's why I said use all the pulleys and brackets from one engine to ensure you don't have issues.

-
Back