power steering pump pictures, please

-

bamacuda

Reaction score
I have a 65 valiant that I am changing from manual to power steering. does any one have photos of this swap in place? Does it make any difference that the pump I am using is from an A/C car? ( I will add A/C later, not time or money right now)

Also, how do i know what column or shaft to use (what length) I think I have one of each, manual and power steering, but not sure. What is the correct length?

What engine is in your Valiant?

'63-'66 A-body steering shafts come in two lengths: Longer (for nonpower steering) and shorter (for power steering).

Are you using the early (pre '70) cast iron water pump or the later style aluminum water pump?

Chuck

It is a commando 273 (just built, not fired yet) all out of the car. I am assembling the accessories on it and mounting it on the k-member. I will have the car raised up and roll the complete assembly under and lower and bolt it up.

I am using a cast iron water pump (nos, what the heck) and the pump is the chrysler type.
Dan, what is the length of the shorter one vs the longer one.

I am still looking through all of my parts to see if there is some kind of bracket. The first picture is the 273 on the stand. (that is like Chapter 4 in the Book of DUH). the second picture is the power steering pump that I got with my set up. As stated, it was on an A/C car and I won't have A/C yet (I got it on the same deal and hope to add it later on). The two brackets in the second picture are all of the brackets I have found so far.

What would happen if I used the wrong one? would the steering wheel move into the car further? or is that not gonna happen?

-
Back