Power steering pump Press on or Keyway?

-

Caberocks

Reaction score
I need to order some stuff for my 1973 Dart Swinger, and when it comes to mechanical stuff, I'm a bit slow. How can I tell if my ps pump is Press on or Keyway? Is there an easy way to tell? Anybody got any pictures to help? Thanks!

I'm a little unclear. Does your car have power steering now and you're just missing the pump? Or are you going to convert to power steering? If you are trying to order a replacement pump, you should post a few pictures of the pump you have. Also what engine do you have?

73 Dart is press on and you can pay a fully refundable deposit to Autozone (and some others) to rent the puller and press tool.
I just did the seal on the Wife's car and it was 40 bucks but they give it all back when you return the tool.

I want to replace the old ps pump and add on a March Serpentine conversion kit. When ordering, they want to know which type pump you have. Here are a couple photos of the old one. The engine is a 360 LA. Plus I want to change the pump out for a nicer looking one.

20160924_140106.jpg

20160924_140119.jpg

Last edited:
Yours appears to be the press on Federal pump. I believe the March setups use the Saginaw type (keyway) pumps.

The March conversions will work with each. I guess what I'm wondering is do I have to replace it with the same kind? Or could I remove this one and install a Saginaw keyway pump? The keyway press on specification is just how the pulley is attached right? Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to order something that won't work.

-
Back