power steering pump problem

-

speedyb-cc

speedyb
Reaction score
I replaced the belt because of squealing and then noticed that when the engine is revved up the whole pump is moving, no broken brackets, belt too tight?
72 Dart, stock 318, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and God Bless
Bruce

I'd check and see if the mounting brackets are tight on the block and the pump. It should not be oscillating or moving around at all when running.

It's not leaking of making noise unless I loosen the belt then it rattles.
All the bolts are tight its like the belt is pulling the pump, at an angle ,towards the water pump, you can see the bracket bending.
Bruce

It's not leaking of making noise unless I loosen the belt then it rattles.
All the bolts are tight its like the belt is pulling the pump, at an angle ,towards the water pump, you can see the bracket bending.
Bruce

Stock setup? Take off the belt and hand turn the pulley - how's it feel? Pulley warped? If the line up between the water pump pulley and the pump pulley is off that's no good.

I bet your missing the solid spacer that goes in between the front and rear bracket that are attached to the pump? The bolt goes thru the middle.

It is the stock mount, it has the spacer in the bracket, the pump is a rebuilt turns smooth, all lined up correctly,the movement is coming from the whole bracket from down where the bracket bolts onto the front of the motor up to the pump, it's like the metal has somehow softened up and is bending. I have had to work till after dark so haven't had a chance to get the whole thing off and really look things over. Don't have a camera.
Thanks for all the input.
Bruce

Do you have the bracket that bolts to the front of the timing cover and into the block on the bottom two holes of the timing cover?

-
Back