Power Steering pump pulley- BENT. Where to buy a replacement?

-
Just throwing it out there. I am on the same hunt. I have bought 3 power steering pumps and a pulley from steerandgear and I unfortunately think I may be in the same boat.

Just throwing it out there. I am on the same hunt. I have bought 3 power steering pumps and a pulley from steerandgear and I unfortunately think I may be in the same boat.

UGH.
What's your setup?

It seems like this shouldn't be THAT hard.

MRGTX Well unfortunately at this point it sounds like the "shop" just destroyed my TRW Pump.

The reason it is so hard for me at least is that the TRW had 2 different sizes. Large and small then the federal had a different shaft also. Then there were different setups for AC or no AC on each with different diameter pulleys and different offsets from the pump. From what I have gathered there are about 8 different pulleys that are possible.

MRGTX Well unfortunately at this point it sounds like the "shop" just destroyed my TRW Pump.

The reason it is so hard for me at least is that the TRW had 2 different sizes. Large and small then the federal had a different shaft also. Then there were different setups for AC or no AC on each with different diameter pulleys and different offsets from the pump. From what I have gathered there are about 8 different pulleys that are possible.

:banghead:

These are the kinds of problems that aren't fun nor rewarding to deal with.
Is the shop owning up to wrecking your pump at least? What's your next plan?

8 different pulleys...that sounds about right. I have seen three of them so far.

My next stop is to bring my old one to a local machine shop and see if they can save it. I just need to drive this damn car.

:burnout:

They are owning up and claim they fixed it. What I don't get is how you go from leaking to no leaking and there not be a rebuild in between. They brought it somewhere to have it fixed. My guess is I will have to have it rebuilt sometime in the future but at least I am getting my car back.

So I was not wrong the pump is still leaking. #$#%%&& (cursing). Not only that it looks like the crank pulley is bent. Thankfully I have an extra set so I should be ok. I hope.

What are you guys using to remove & install these pulleys? I've never had any trouble at all using the correct pulley remover & installer tool. I have a Snap-on & an OTC set that works great. You can't just hammer them on or off. They'll get damaged every time. If you use the correct tool to remove & install it it should work much easier. Harbor Freight even sell a set that only costs like $20.
HTH.

I don't know what my shop used but nothing they did gave me any confidence that they knew what they were doing.

What are you guys using to remove & install these pulleys? I've never had any trouble at all using the correct pulley remover & installer tool. I have a Snap-on & an OTC set that works great. You can't just hammer them on or off. They'll get damaged every time. If you use the correct tool to remove & install it it should work much easier. Harbor Freight even sell a set that only costs like $20.
HTH.

I was using the puller kit "rented" from Autozone. The problem was that the flange on the pulley is slightly too large for the tool...so I got some help from my mechanic uncle who usually does amazing work...but this time he helped "too much." He used a gear puller that pulled on the edges of the pulley itself. It got the pulley off, alright. :violent1:

I have since figured out how to make the Autozone tool work (when installing and removing my most recent failed attempt with the modified pulley from another setup) but it's a pain in the posterior.

I'm bringing my warped pulley to a local machine shop tomorrow...hoping they can straighten it out. It's one of the last barriers that I have to getting the Dart on the road. Such a damn simple thing. :banghead:

-
Back